This post is not finished, checked or edited
1960s built up with individual houses from the 1960s.
On the site of Spedan Tower, which was the Home of store owner, John Lewis, supposed to be for Camden housing but used for dense private development. The lane like that of neighbouring Branch Hill was earmarked for Camden housing in the 1970s but was eventually filled in 1982-7 by dense clusters of eighteen private houses by Bickerdike Allen Simovic.
Castle Pub. Milestone.
Tollgate set up near the Castle Inn when the road was turnpiked in the 1820s.
Childs Hill area by entrance to Hendon Way.
New flats Vernon Court, Wendover Court, Moreland Court.
Golders Hill Park. Bought by the L.C.C. 1899. Bird enclosures. Park is Capability Brown with deer. The house, c18, Golder’s Hill House with Mungo Dyson with additions of 1875 by E. F. Clarke, was close to North End Road; it was demolished after damage in Second World War. The grounds were improved in the 1870s for Thomas Spencer Wells, a royal surgeon, by Robert Mamock, advocate of the English landscape tradition. His aim was to get a 'natural gardening' effect, with an enlarged lake. Walled kitchen garden, laid out by the LCC as an 'Old English garden with pergola and sundial. Bandstand in the same spirit. Sculpture Water Baby Fountain by Bainbridge Cope c. 1950, originally in Victoria Park. Diogenist by Mark Bat. Golder’s Hill Girl by Patricia Finch, 1991.
Grafton Terrace milestone
Savoy Court as St.Regis
Named from Godereshill c.1406, probably 'hill associated with a family called God(y)er', from Middle English hill. There is mention of a John le Godere and a John Godyer in 14th-century records concerning Hendon.
Golders Hill House. The London County Council's acquisition of this and its gardens in 1898 brought the first public park to the urban district of Hendon.
Tight cul-de-sacs of town houses, 1981-3 by Ted Levy, Benjamin & Partners for Barratt. They cover the site and grounds of The Grange a c19 house remodelled in Edwardian times, which replaced the 'Salt Box’ painted by Constable.
Near the borough boundary, medium-rise council housing built for Hendon in 1964 by GMW. Arranged around a lawn. Four-storey flats and maisonettes with inset concrete balconies. Also some old people's housing and a two-storey shopping terrace.
Leg of Mutton pond. So called from its shape.
Hamlet where Hogarth lived, Sandy End, 1750, by John Turner of Child's Hill,
North End House Corner with Spaniards Road
Eton College estates
Old Court House, eighteenth century
Heath Brow Cottage
Tributary of Westbourne rising here and flowing down to Redlington Drive
Local name for the Bargas common area only. The wood was gone. Probably belonged to the Knights Templars.
Heath Park Gardens, 1985-8, a pile of flats with aggressive flamboyant cantilevered balconies, replacing Quennell's Neo Georgian Templewood House of 1913.
West Heath Close
1930s development; mostly common- place
West Heath Road.
Rural appearance. Winds its way from Finchley Road to Whitestone Pond at the top of the hill. Rural appearance early c19 known from Constable's sketches; by 1895 only a handful of wealthy houses standing grounds, looking out over the mature landscape of the West Heath filled up in the early c20 with sedate villas in well-treed grounds. 1980s, the large houses disappeared and sprouted self-consciously designed flats and exclusive precinct of small houses.
9 rare example of lavish brutalist private house. 1962. In the period when the austerity of the Brutalist aesthetic was in the ascendant. Built in 1962-4 by James Gowan for the furniture manufacturer C.S. Schreiber.
84 St.Margaret's tall. With tile-hanging.
Heath Park Gardens. Aggressive flats 1985 on site of temple hill house
Joiners and Carpenters