Gerrards Cross Dukes Wood
This post has not been finished, checked or edited
Post to the south not done
Dukes Wood Estate
Developed by Sir John Ramsden late 1920s and this continued into the 1940s.
East Common Road
Berkeley Cottage. Built in 1818 on the corner with Mill Lane for Thomas Oldacre the Huntsman with the Old Berkeley Hunt. Later owned by George Healy and sold in 1906.
Colston Court flats. On the site of Gerrards Cross Church of England School built 1861. The head was Charles Colston who was also Parish Clerk until 1928. Demolished 1971 after the school had moved.
The area south of the Oxford Road. Enclosure Act by the Duke of Somerset in 1865. The Duke could thus sell building plots along the Oxford Road before the railway came.
Elmwood Park houses built on the site of Felbrigg built in 1931 for G.N.Rouse
44 council houses post war
36 council houses post-war
Council housing by Eton Urban District 1922 fifty houses planned but only 16 built for ex-servicemen.
French Horn. In 1743 this was a tenement and a blacksmith called The White House and included two acres of land. By 1820 it had stables and was described as a ‘night house’ where carters could rest. Owned by Wellers of Amersham and then by Beskins of Watford. Beskins rebuilt it in 1946.
Apple Tree was the Fox and Hounds. Beer house takikng its name from the meeting place of the Old Berkeley Hunt. Opposite the French Horn.
Woodhill. Early estate in the parish of Iver on Chalfont Common. House belonging to Brasenose College and fitted up as a hunting box with extensive stabling. Part of Iver Parish which passed from the owners of Bulstrode to Brasenose as an endowment for a scholarship. They let it to a Thomas Treadaway in 1680 and successive tenants until 1894 when it was sold to Col.Le Poer Trench who sold it for development. The house became derelict and was demolished in 1970.
The Rancho. Built in 1862 by adventurer Thomas Mayne Reid who had fought in the Mexican Civil War. He wrote adventure stories for boys and an account of his own wedding to a 15 year old. He leased the site from Brasenose College and built a house to his own design, also supervising the on site brick works. He then went bankrupt and cleared off. The house was bought by John Langley Moore of Langley Lodge but left to decay.
Two lodges for The Rancho. One of these was adapted as a gate house for Langley Lodge.
St.James’s Church. Anna Maria and Louisa Reid wanted to build a church to the memoryh of their brother George Reid of Bulstrode Park. All members of the Reid brewing family. They asked for a site on Fulmer Common and got this bit where plans for a church were provided by William Tite. Consecretated 1859. A new parish was set up.
Four End Lane Woodhill Cottages built by Brasenose College.
Bailey Garage corner of Pinewood Close 1911
St.Huberts Lane was created when le Poer Trench moved the road away from his front door.
St. Huberts. Was originally Langley Lodge but changed by Hon.William Le Poer Trench to the patron saint of hunting. Following the enclosure acts of 1815 of Langley Marish two acres remained with Edmund Grove who had a farm house and Grove Cottages. This was joined by Langley Lodge which was bought inn 1863 by John Bramley Moore and Liverpool merchant. His son became the first vicar of Gerrards Cross. Langley Lodge was rebuilt with lots of chimneys and a gas works. When he died it was bought by William Le Poer Trench ex Royal Engineers and MP for Galway. He placed a large model white stag over the porch and the Prince of Wales used to visit. His widow lived there until 1940 when it was taken over by the Triangle Secretarial College.
Coachman’s cottage with date stone 1863
Stables with date stone 1866