Cricklewood

   This post is not finished, checked or edited


Post to the north Brent Cross

Post to the east Child's Hill

Post to the west Dollis Hill Paddock

Post to the south Cricklewood

Brent Marshalling Yard
One of the longest in London. 1950. 25,000 wagons a week
Signal Boxes went out of use on completion of re-signalling scheme in 1983.  Typical Midland Railway style - "triangular" inserts in top of windows, and many retain Midland Railway style finials on roof ends. Brent No. 1 & Brent No. 2 controlling Brent Yard and junctions to and from Midland and South West Junction Railway connecting with North London line at Acton Wells Junction, this giving Midland Railway round London access to south.  Between boxes typical Midland Railway 8-post signal gantry some with Midland Railway finials on top.  Best view from footbridge complex at Staples Corner

Brent Terrace
Railway workers cottages – on a narrow strip of land beside the railway, backs to the road and front doors to the railway line, in a single long row, a less sociable layout than those west of the railway
Campion/Needham/Johnstone/Midland/Gratton Terraces
Midland Railway housing and Institute.  1860s. Immediately to the North, tucked away between main road and railway. c19 in parallel rows of simple two-storeyed brick terraces, with back yards to service roads, and front doors opening onto paths with gardens beyond. Some of the gardens are arranged as communal spaces, others are individual tiny enclosures of delightful variety. Allotments beyond.

Cheviot Gardens
Claremont Baptist Free Church. Laing, builders, gave the site.  1931. By C. W.B. Simmonds. 

Claremont Road
Clitterhouse Farm buildings. 19th farmhouse.
Two old Handley Page hangars 1914-70. With Belfast timber roof trusses  
Fields, first taken for the airport, are now football pitches fringed by stolid brick council housing begun by Hendon after the First World War
1 former Handley Page aircraft works. Polite painted brick.  One-storey frontage to the road hiding a long row of roof-lit workshops behind.
Cricklewood Trading estate, 1914 for aircraft and munitions
Express Dairy Co Bottling Plant. Gone. Was a straggle of cream painted buildings, opened in the late 19th and much added to.
Whitefield School. Long three-storeyed ranges with shallow pitched roofs and blue and white trim, the result of the Borough of Bamet's recladding and enlargement in 1993-5 of a secondary school opened in 1954 and extended in 1967 and 1991.
Cricklewood bus garage. First motor garage of London General Omnibus Co. 1909 extended but the original small garage building backs on to Edgeware Road.

Cricklewood
Cricklewood straddles the Bamet-Brent boundary along Edgware Road. After the railway arrived, the rural hamlet within the parish of Hendon developed into a late c 19 suburb, which became the terminus of the trams from London, which ran along the Edgware Road. Superior late c19 residential parts lie to the west in Brent, industrial and working-class areas to the East. They grew around the extensive Midland Railway sidings and marshalling yards North of the station (now largely redeveloped), and by the 1930s Cricklewood was Hendon's main centre of industry.
Name means an irregularly shaped wood. ‘Crikeilwode’ 1294, ‘Crikeledewod’ 1321, ‘Crykyl Wood’ 1509, ‘Krickle Wood’ 1754, that is 'the wood with indented outline', from Middle English ‘crikeled’ and ‘wode’. Even today the large open space here has a very irregular shape.
Admiralty Citadel built in 1933 and used in Falklands War
Cricklewood skating rink 
Bentley Cars built in Cricklewood 1919-1931.
Dubreq Co. made the Stylophone electronic organ here 1960s/1970s.
Grunwick and the Battle of Grunwick 1977

Edgeware Road
Shelmerdine & Mulley Ltd.  Service station includes the only remaining building of Cricklewood locomotive depot.
Smith Industries 1904. By Acton/Cricklewood Railway Line Clock Co but then lots of others things including aircraft instruments. Railway spur built at that time
Delaney Galley making heaters for coaches and commercial vehicles and cars and heat transfer equipment for aircraft 90 of heaters to Fords
Turnpike marker In front of 3/4 Gratton Terrace, ‘London 4, Watford 10. n the Edgware - Kilburn Turnpike, opened 1711. Early 19th century cast iron, V-shaped, round headed, marked ‘Hendon Parish’.

Pennine Drive
An intrusion of middle-class Hendon. With other houses on the estate this is a Laing one of their earliest London housing developments on the site of Handley page’s short-lived Cricklewood Airport. Prim brick semis symmetrically laid out in concentric ovals
Handley Page. Began aircraft production in 1912. Airfield 1912-29 with London to Paris flights in 1919. First air passenger fatalities when an aircraft crashed into a house. Halifax bombers in the Second World War.

Railway
Cricklewood signal box
Brent Junction between Child's Hill and Welsh Harp Stations line 1867 by Midland and South West Junction Railway from Acton Wells


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow