This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Synagogue 1960-1 by Norman Green. Sliding doors open to a hall, lit by a
curtain gable wall. At the opposite end
offices of 1977.
Redbridge junior and infants schools
were opened 1932
Methodist Church. 1927
by George Baines & Son.
Hall large 1927,
Sunday School, 1931, with quite a fancy front. The part behind very plain.
Named for Stonehall Farm which was
broken up for building about 1935. Stonehall was previously the site of a local
manor. It was probably named for the
Stonehalle family. It was acquired by
the Crown in 1545 and then sold and eventually became associated with the Manor
of Wanstead. It was broken up for
building in the 1930s.
1923-4 and designed by Sir Herbert Baker.
An exceptional church in a 20th suburban area.. Built as a memorial to Bishop
Edgar Jacob of St Albans the promoter of the diocese of Chelmsford. details
Hall. 1907, with shaped gable.
Vicarage By Baker, 1924. Unusual. Vernacular but formal. One-storey symmetrical
front, with dormers in a very big, hipped roof with two tall chimneys.
Cranbrook Park (Wesleyan) Methodist
church, was formed in a temporary
building in 1904 A permanent church was completed in 1914, and a Sunday school
and institute in 1925. Sir W. J. Oliver Sheat was a member of this church, and
a generous benefactor to it. From 1911 to 1913 and again from 1921 to 1928 the
church conducted mission services at Beehive.
The more customary type of
Edwardian terraces. This was the area of
Cranbrook Hall, owned by the local builder/developer, W.P. Griggs, who
demolished the house in 1901 and built up the estate with housing.
Port of London Authority's
Sports Ground. badly neglected and needing rescuing if only to
save the excellent pavilion of 1923 by Edwin Cooper, architect of PLA's
majestic headquarters on Tower Hill in the City of London. Identical elevations with Tuscan porticos,
appropriately simple. Steward's lodge of
the same sort, also by Cooper. 1950s
Cranbrook Castle – castellated folly built in 1765 on the site
which is now the sports ground. This
was about 300 yards. north-east of Highlands mansion and was said to have been
erected by Sir Charles Raymond as a family mausoleum, but never used. It became
known as 'the Castle' and for many years it was a dwelling house in connexion
with Highlands Farm. During the First World War it was an Admiralty observation
post. About 1922 the land on which it stood was bought by the Port of London
Authority for a sports ground, and in 1923 it was demolished.