This post is not finished, it has not been edited or checked
Post to the north Sundridge Park
Name about a man called
Bicca and a woodland clearing dating from around 1279. ‘Byckeleye’ 1279, ‘Bykeieye’ 1292, ‘Bikeleye’
1297, 'woodland clearing on or near a pointed ridge', or 'woodland clearing of
a man called Bica', from Old English ‘bica or personal name and ‘leah’.
The Old Cottage. c.1599. Behind a brick wall. Red brick and half
behind a brick wall and gateway dated 1599. The gate arch is still straight-sided, a
pre-Renaissance form, with a stretched brick hoodmould and a gable
with the stumps of octagonal finials. The cottage itself also c
1599 Timber-framed, with some red brick. Gabled porch open below on flat, shaped,
baluster-like posts. The plan not sym- metrical, but of the -lobby-entry' type, the
coming thing at that date. (In the w upper room a stone fireplace with
over it set in a roundel with Mannerist pilasters )
3 Orchard Cottage, Attractive, colourful and varied garden, compartmentalised and
themed, with many interesting and unusual herbaceous plants and shrubs.
Including areas of scree beds, troughs and pots with alpines and other
Bird in Hand pub
Bird in Hand Lane
Westwood, Newton, 1889. The same
ingredients, with the same windows,
but of any convenient proportion. Big off-centre chimney
8 by Newton, built for himself in 1884, so exceptionally early
22, a very early work of W. Curtis
Green, 1899, roughcast, with a pair of shallow window-bows and a Venetian motif
in the gable,
Molescroft, also 1899, also
roughcast, by Newton.
58 by Figgis the much coarser 1908
Park Farm Road
Convent, Holy Trinity.
Early eighteenth century house. Present entrance is modern. An early C 18 house of three
storeys, the top one treated as an attic
Dark red brick. No entrance on
this side, or on the opposite side which
was remodelled late in the c 18 with a big bow for the full height. The present entrance is modern.
This description refers to the r. block;
for the block that answers it and the
recessed centre pinched between the two were only added in the early C20.
Good style houses. Ice well
107 Newton 1902
46 Crown Pub
1794 improved by Humphrey
Repton and William Kent,
26 by W. J. Pamphilon, further witty
displays of Newtonisms, 1906
28 by F. Baxendale, 1906 further
witty displays of Newtonisms
Used to be two iron houses
very very nasty.
V2 attack at
1.36pm, 11 February 1945 There were no
casualties but Sundridge Park Hotel was damaged again.
site of Eastons Farm. Was
the boundary of the Palace grounds.
Upper Park Road/Orchard Road corner.
Freelands home of Free
Lands Convent. Very old chest found in the cellar. Well Cottage supposed to be
beams from Armada ships in