London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Leyton Green, a bit of
Epping Forest handed to local board as ornamental land by the conservators in
Bus garage 1906 built by
Great Eastern London Motorbus Co. taken over by London General Omnibus Co. in
1911 and rebuilt. LPTB 1933. Converted to trolleys
Post office ‘higher office’
although always a sub-office first post office in Leyton
Livingstone College Towers
on site of Livingstone Medical College for Missionaries, which was in Knotts
25 plaque to Sol
Plaatje. He founded the first native newspaper in South Africa. The 'Tswana
Gazette first appeared in 1901 and lasted until 1908. In 1912, he became the
first Secretary General of the South African National Congress, now known as
the ANC.Plaque erected 1986.
St Paul Church for Barclay
estate, 1906, bits added
Leyton High School for Boys, 1934 and 1957
73, 20ft x 65ft
country garden in miniature, but with full-sized plants. Conservatory.
Reached from Leyton
Green by Leyton Green Road. Nothing to see now. There was a c18 mansion with
excellent grounds, in the c 19 the home of the Barclays a branch of the banking
family. The streets to the north east began to be laid out after the death of
Joseph Gurney Barclay in 1890s.The
house became Livingstone College, a training college for missionaries; it was
replaced in 1961 by a block of flats, since demolished.
Lea Bridge Road
Wittington Cox. A private
bus garage called Pro Bono Publico. Became Gates Ford Garage.
715 Furniture store 1968 Leytonstone Unitarian Church,
1905 by W. Jacques.
Chestnut tree public house, named after Chestnut Walk
which used to be there Board Lane, 1454, cut down in 1930s
47 Plant collector's paradise. An
eclectic mix of unusual and exotic plants in a 40ft x 16ft space. Entered via
an eye catching and densely planted front garden.
Raglan Road/Shernhall Street:
As far as Methodist Church
is Epping Forest.
Shernhall Street/Grove Road/Lea Bridge
Grant of Waste of part of
Epping Forest. Piece of ground.
Chestnut walk girls’ school
of 1858 became British school; taken over by school board.
Whipp’s Cross school.
Mission building and factory in 1970s
Whipp’s Cross Hospital.
1936 partly funded by West Ham Borough Council. Forest House built as union
infirmary in 1892. 1899 West Ham Guardians. Managed by West Ham Council.Samuel Boyle old people’s home is site of old
Forest House. West Ham workhouse for a while and old peoples’ home in 1964. Red
brick garden wall from old house of 1681
Forest House - Samuel
Bosanquet lived at Forest House, Leyton, and also held Low Hall Manor in Walthamstow from 1741. It
was owned by the family until they sold it in 1877.The Hospital, occupies the grounds of Forest
House. demolished 1964. built in 1683 by the Huguenotbanker Sir James Houblon, sold 1703 to Sir
Gilbert Heathcott and from 1730-1831 was home of the Bosanquet family for whom
Sir John Soane made alterations in 1786-7.
Lido built in 1905 by
Walthamstow and Leyton jointly, dug by the unemployed. Modernised 1937
To deter wood poachers
whipped at the cart tail from here to Stolen’s Corner. Stopped in 1819. Transit
camp for troops in Second World War. Then ground used for temporary homes for
Whipp’s Cross Road
Assembly House where London
merchants did business during the plague. Rebuilt in 1840s
1st church of
Christ Scientist. From 1920s. Built in 1937 original temporary building used as
Sir Alfred Hitchcock pub
with Hitchcock memorabilia
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis