Upper Holloway

     This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked

Alexander Road 

Allerton Walk

Andover Estate
Greater London Council 1972. Towering groups of ten storey ziggurats.

Axminster Road
Devonshire Castle

Bavaria Road
37 Studio 3, refurbishment of a former Methodist Chapel into a home with a suspended timber mezzanine. West architecture 2006
Replica House, Italianate. Was the Congregational Mission Halls by H Lander & Bedells, 1883
Blenheim Road Chapel
Denmark Terrace 

Berkeley Walk

Berriman Road

Besant Walk

Birnam Road

Bolton Walk

Bracey Street
27 Little Brothers of Jesus

Camden Road
Was previously called Maiden Lane.  Turnpike Route from Camden Town to Tottenham from the 1820s. Built up along the Islington section from the 1850s with very large paired houses, especially elaborate
Jewish Free School Comprehensive.  1956. The successor to the Jewish Free School, which was in Bell Lane, Spitalfields, from 1817. Extensive buildings by Sidney Kaye, Firmin & Partners, 1956-72, for 1,400 pupils. 
Bracewood Arms, 1840.  Fashionable for dubious delights, balloon ascents, duels
Camden School for Girls.  Founded in 1877 in Prince of Wales Road; established here in the buildings of its sister school, the North London Collegiate, which had moved to Stanmore. Stillman & Eastwick-Field's plain hall and classrooms, of 1965-7, is sandwiched between the remains of a furniture store converted E. C. Robins in 1879 and 1908 by J. T. Lee. ‘Youth’, a bust by Epstein, 1955; ‘Orpheus’, a seated figure from the Festival of Britain, 1951. Stained glass from Prince of Wales Road. by Henry Holiday. St Catherine, St Ursula and the Queen of Sheba, 1909-10; female figures representing Truth, Righteousness, Faith and Hope, 1921-3. In the library, memorial window to the foundress, Frances Mary Buss, 1927 by A. K. Nicholson.
Athenaeum Literary and Scientific Institution on Parkhurst Road corner.  Used as a banqueting hall and studio until replaced by a petrol station.
Floor cloth factory as a country retreat
Alfred Place
Camden Road Baptist Church. 1853.  Converted to a hostel.
Hall 1858
Castle View House
Keighley Close
Saxonbury Court
Staveley Close
Camden Road Baptist Chapel, 1853-4 by C. G. Searle. Perpendicular of the usual early c19 type, the model of collegiate chapels.  . Converted to a hostel
Hall of 1858
Was called Head Lane.  Built in the nineteenth century to connect Camden and Islington
John Barnes Library. Tucked behind an embankment. c. 1974 by Andrews, Sherlock & Partners with A. Head, Borough Architect. The ground floor, with junior library, with the entrance for adults at the jettied first-floor level. 

Corker Walk

Cornwallis Square

Cornwallis Road
City of London Union Workhouse, new ideas in poor relief, bought 1883 by Islington Guardians, since 22 GPO telecommunications workshops and GPO postal order office

Durham Road
Maisonettes. Earlier Islington Borough Council system-built 1960s

Durham Cottages 
St.Anne's Home for the Retired
St.Anne, gone

Eburne Road
Grafton Mixed Junior School. Community Centre in the school the hall is the Eco Tunnel. Pavilion like school hall with a folded form clad in black rubber. All sorts of sustainable features. Charles Barclay Architects 2007
Grafton Mission Hall, closed

Falconer Walk
Great Northern Railway site
1885 St.Mary Islington Depot washing for street refuse and sand. Three wash mills and engine.

Hanmer Walk

Hatley Road

Hercules Place

Hercules Place West
Manor house of the area.

Hercules Street

Highwood Road
Thane Villas
Thane Mansions 
Walton House 

‘Le Holeweye in Iseldon’ 1307, ‘Holway’ 1473, ‘Holowey’ 1543, ‘Hollowaye’ 1554, that is 'the hollow road, the road in a hollow', from Old English ‘hol’ and ‘wey’. The road referred to, a section of the Great North Road crossing relatively low-lying land between Highgate and Islington, is still called Holloway Road. The hamlets of Lower & Upper Holloway on its route, marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822, are distinguished by the 16th century; they are recorded as ‘Holway the lower’ and ‘Holway the upper’ on Norden's map of 1593.
Holloway, which forms the northern section of the borough of Islington, originally consisted of hamlets known as Ring Cross and Upper and Lower Holloway, called after the road - the hollow way.  These consisted of buildings along the road and replaced the earlier manorial name of Tollington. The construction of Archway Road changed the area and by the mid c19 the road had become a major shopping centre with theatres and department stores.  In the c20 the overcrowded c19 streets were replaced by public housing, at first big blocks of flats, then by large new estates in the 1960s and 1970s.
Upper Holloway has a number of small parks, standing back from the road covering the area between Holloway Road, Caledonian Road and the North-Eastern Region Railway. Development in the upper part of the Holloway Road, and the countryside around was sporadic through the late c19, with scattered villas and terraces between undeveloped land.  By 1900 terraces covered the gardens of these villas as far as the Highgate slopes where Holborn and Islington used cheap land for their workhouses and infirmaries. 

Holloway Road
443-445 Holloway House is the former Holloway Hall, now National Youth Theatre c19 by George Truefitt the surveyor to the Tufnell Park Estate.  Casualty of this in 1967 was the huge ensemble of Whittington Almshouses, H S Smith, and Surveyor to the Mercers' Company.  Organ and statue of Richard Holton by Joseph Carew moved to new almshouses at Felbridge. Was also the People’s Picture Palace.
445 Upper Holloway Baptist Church
459-462 Bathurst Mansions dated 1891, originally one of two distinctive buildings that marked the entrance to Seven Sisters Road.  Distinctive buildings to mark the entrance to Seven Sisters Road.
471 Half Moon, old coaching inn. Changed to B.Burke and Sons. c.1860.
533 Nid Ting
544-554 Albemarle Mansions, it screens flats and shops, see the windows juggled to fit the staircases.
556 North Star House, ILEA Careers Office, site of Holloway Empire,
557-561 North Islington Dispensary
622 Crown, Cromwell visited
623-629 St John's Gymnasium. Then became toy manufacture Jones & Co. owned by Lewis and largest in North London.  Closed Moreland doors
647-663 Northampton Place
656 Aviation Bookshop
665 Mother Redcap
688-706 Marlborough Terrace
710 Marlborough
Barnes was site of Elizabethan 'archery house'
Blenheim Court
Burtons. Terracotta, black, and white vitrolite, and of course Empire Stone. This is an architectural pre-cost concrete made by Empire Stone Ltd, a firm founded at the beginning of the century
Harper's of Holloway, stationers and diary makers
Holloway Arcade 
How House was a girls school
Lord Nelson 
Mothers' Clinic for Constructive Birth Control
Nag’s Head Shopping Arcade.  Small, opened in 1992 and includes a Safeways, since changed to Morrisons.
Nag’s Head Tavern, famous traffic centre. The pub has been at this junction for 200 years.  The Name was changed to O’Neill and since closed. Stucco-trimmed Italianate.  Now closed but marked the focus of what was the shopping centre.  It was the northern most edge of Islington and the end of the tram routes in 1891.
National Schools gabled Tudor over the porch restored with crocketed spire added in the same style. Interior remodelled c. 1965 leaf capitals, partitioned off arcades with stiff- nave. Chancel
Northern Polytechnic, 1896, Great Hall now the theatre.  Opened by Lord Mayor 1897.  1948 became College of Rubber Technology, which moved to Benwell Road.  1966 tower block and mural
Odeon, built as Gaumont 1938.  One of north London’s most lavish cinemas. Designed for Bernstein Theatres but built for Gaumont British by W.E. Trent. Impressive. Vies with the Victorian shops opposite.  Classical cream faience exterior with: angled comer block crowned by a tall set-back attic.  Giant columns to the windows of the grand three-storey foyer, a classical inside.  Originally with a mezzanine cafe boxed in by screen in 1973, which opened on to the raised terrace overlook Holloway Road. As an eight-screen Odeon, it is not only one of the rare survivors from the Thirties but it has been thoroughly and convincingly updated to multiplex level. It still is one of the most commanding cinema exteriors in the country, helped by its location on a very wide and straight section of the road   opened in 1938, it was one of the unluckier British cinemas during World War Two. Its exterior and entrance spaces survived German bombs but the auditorium was severely damaged, forcing the cinema's closure in August 1944, and its original design was never reinstated. Instead, a much reduced, modern auditorium appeared in 1958 - and has since disappeared in the conversion to smaller auditoria which has also encroached on the former restaurant area over the entrance. The cinema was designed by a leading American architect, C. Howard Crane, initially for Granada and then for Hyams and Gale, who passed it over to Gaumont. It was conceived as a sister theatre to Hyams and Gale's Gaumont State Kilburn and the Hyams brothers demanded a similar interior in classical style - one that was really old-fashioned in its stalls side wall panels of landscapes and in its splay wall decoration.
Old King’s Head jolly mid 19th pub
Prince of Wales
Royal Northern Hospital founded 1856 as the Great Northern with own money by a young surgeon called Stewart Shelton at 11 York Road, York Way.  He died in 1852.  The hospital moved because of the railway and in 1888 built a hospital in Holloway Road.  1926 wireless in the wards. Called the Royal Northern from 1921.  . Extensions included a circular ward block of 1895.  Demolition of rear areas 1997.
Safeway supermarket opened at Nag’s Head and then bought out by Morrisons.
Sainsbury's built on the site of a line of Victorian shops including Beale's Restaurant, which was there until 1952. Beale’s marked the entrance to Seven Sisters Road; it was a tall, rather Continental-looking specimen of the Gothic Revival by F. Wallen, 1889. Sainsbury later sold to KwikSave who in turn sold to Argos.
St. Mary Magdalene's Cottage
St.John’s church. Commissioners Church 1826 as Parish Church for Upper Holloway. 
St.John’s Schools. ‘Gratuitously designed’. Church schools by Barry, 1830-1; extended 1858,1867.
Wace Cottage became Friends Meeting House

Holloway Street

Hornsey Road 
Emmanuel Church. 1884 only the aisle remains. .
Stuccoed terrace and pub remain
147 Vicarage of Emmanuel Church. 
Elizabeth Duke's waterproof manufactory
Sobell Centre 1973 by W.D. Lami & R. Seifert & Partners. Of ribbed concrete, the ribs angled to for a sunburst around the broad glazed entrance arch. On a curved plan but with rectangular sports spaces and ice rink inside.
Tollington Arms, HQ of London ex-boxers Assoc.
Infant Poor Establishment
Hornsey Road Station, 1868
Hornsey Road Station, Midland Railway, 1872c, 1943
Hornsey Road Sixth Form Centre. Formerly Hornsey Road Upper School, 1897, Shackell & Edwards, printing ink
354 Plough stuccoed arch to former Plough Stables,
427-429 back on to Marlborough Road factory, once a decent pair of mid-c19 villas
471 Station Parade 
Hornsey Road Baths. 1892-5 by A. Hessell Tiltman. slip baths screening a yard with a lower washhouse wing. Good brick, carved stone and lettering across the main oriel. On the elevation, a diving lady in neon, probably the only survivor of series of illuminated signs put on London swimming pools and lidos in the 1930s. Building restored after bombing and rebuilt 1964.

Ingleby Road 

Kingsdown Road
St.Paul's Church
Larchmore Court 
St.Paul's Court 

Kinloch Street
Tollington Place.  Had been a moated timber house there.  The Manor extended from Islington Green to the City Road - 987 acres called Tollandue until nineteenth century.  'Lower Place' with moat became Devil’s House pub
Drummer Lodge 

Landseer Road

Lazar Walk

Lennox Road 
Elim Pentecostal Church
Poole Park Primary School
Elim House
Haden Court 
Manor Gardens 
Beaux-Arts Building built as the Money Order Office.  Overpowering all. GPO post office training centre from 1912 vast by F.A. Llewellyn, of c.1932, convened into flats 1995-7. 
6-9 two pairs of plain classical villas (Nos. 6-9) form the wings of the health centre.
Manor Gardens Health and Community Centre. Originally the North Islington Welfare Centre and school for mothers
North Branch Library.  Originally church reading room from local Unitarian church. Sweet. 1905. 1905-6 by Henry T. Hare. The original arrangement lecture room above children's library (front) and reading room above the lending library now open-plan.
St.David's Wing 

Marlborough Road
157-163 Belgravia Workshops. Converted reminder that until the 1970s this was an area of small concerns.
165 adjoining factory
172 Marlborough Service Station.  Castellated roof and steep run down so that double deckers could get in.  Had been a bus garage since 1927, previously a Wheelwrights - Hammett's Ambassador Bus Co owned by them

Mayton Street 
Hood Court 

Mingard Road 

Mitford Road

Moray Grove
St.Mark’s church hall

Moray Road 

Pakeman Street 
Primary School 

Playford Road
Clifton Court 

Roden Street

Salterton Road 
St.Joseph and St. Padarn's RC Church. Built as St. Padarn’s Welsh Church 1873 by J Belcher. 
Salterton Music Centre

Selden Walk

Seven Sisters Road
Built 1832, Obliterated Head Lane
Bowmans Mews – on the site of Bowman’s Lodge
Hackney Brook crossing it
Seven Sisters Socialist Church
The New River was originally dug due west on the 100ft contour and swung
South near the junction of Holloway Road with Tufnell Park Road\Sussex Way
St. Mark's Church School
Chapel Way
Landseer Court
Simmons House, St.Mark's Mission Hall
Nag’s Head street market.  Named after an Elizabethan archery house.  Where Edward Lear was born in 1812.

Sussex Close
Holloway Welsh Chapel. 1873. Thorpedale Road
Gainsborough House

Tollington Park 
49 Tollington Park College
55 Convent of Notre Dame now RC school Christ the King
63 Seddon murders house is supposed to be haunted 
91 Tollington Park People's Mission
110 North Islington Nursery School
Albert Goodman Memorial Hall
Hall 1972
Montem School 
Park Tavern
St. Mark with St.Anne, 1854 
St.Mark's Mansions
St.Mark's Schools
St.Mellitus. Was New Court Congregational church.  Art nouveau electroliers.   

Tollington Court
Tollington Park Baptist Chapel. 1908, E. Douglas Hoyland. Porches demolished when the hall of 1972 by K. C. White Partners was added. 
Tollington Park School
Tollington-Iseldon School 
Zoar Hall

Tufnell Park Road,
Supposed to be a Roman road.  Tufnell family owned all the area and gave the building leases, local. The main artery from Holloway Road to Tufnell Park Underground Station.
Tufnell Park Primary School
St.George. Built by the surveyor to the Tufnell Park estates for people who had left the Anglican Church for the Free Church of England 1868. In 1976 became St.George's Elizabethan Theatre.   Apron stage in the chancel, some windows blocked. It specialised in performing the words of William''; Shakespeare in an authentic setting similar to the Globe Theatre. performances linked to educational workshops, giving students and interested members of the public aninsight into live theatre in general and Shakespeare 
Odeon Cinema site of Tufnell Manor road names are nearly all family names
162 Tufnell Park Taver

Tollington Place

Turle Way 
George Orwell School
Tollington Park Youth Centre 

Turleway Close 

Whewell Road

Windsor Road

Wray Crescent


Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow