Post to the north Woodford North Circular
Post to the south Wanstead and Snaresbrook
One of a group of names vaguely suggesting wooded countryside perhaps, indicates the proximity of Epping Forest
Goods depot opened here by GER. Closed in 1966 and used for dumping tube tunnel segments. Later sold to Wimpey for housing.
Wanstead Hospital. on the site of the Merchant Seamen's Orphanage
Former Merchant Seamen's Orphan Asylum, 1861-71 by George Somers Clarke sen. A magnificent sight on an eminence, visible from afar, dominated by a tall, Symmetrical tower. Used as a convent and refuge after the orphanage moved in 1920, and later as a hospital for the care of the elderly. Converted to flats c. 2000. The asylum was founded in 1827 in Wapping, moved to Bow in 1834, then sought space and fresh air .The funding came from the major shipping companies.: the foundation stone was laid by Prince Albert in 1861. A range for boys and another for girls were completed in 1862.The ground floor was used for schoolrooms, the upper for dormitories. The entrance tower housing bedrooms and water tanks and a portal with pointed arch on marble columns with elaborate capitals. scene of children orphaned by a shipwreck. Became Bearwood College and many other changes. Details on appropriate 'children's homes' websites.
Eagle Hotel. A coaching inn of 18th origin, with an early tented balcony across the front. Was previously called the ‘Spread Eagle’ and acted as committee rooms for RSA in 1762 while boat trials were underway on the pond.
One of a number of county related names in the area
South Woodford Station. 22nd August 1856. Between Snaresbrook and Woodford on the Central Line . Opened by the Eastern Counties Railway as ‘George Lane’ on the Loughton Railway. In 1880-1 the up platform, waiting room, canopy and footbridge were built. In 1910 it was rebuilt in red brick, domestic-revival style with platform canopies with valences supports with pierced spandrels. In 1937 the Name was changed to ‘South Woodford (George Lane)’ In 1947 it became part of the Central Line and it was electrified. It then had a new ticket hall. It 1950 It finally became simply 'South Woodford’. There is a former station nameplate on the platform wall
Hermitage Court the period piece of, 1936 by A. Duck worth for Suburban Real Estates: three storeys of flats on an E-plan, brick with white-rendered bands, curved balconies and Art Deco detail. Pantiled entrance gateway and front walls to match.
Sukkat Shalom Reform Synagogue. Merchant Seamen’s Orphan Asylum Chapel bought by the synagogue in 1995. beautiful interior and stained glass windows. Paid for by Lady Morrison. Converted to its present use by Wylde Associates, c. 2000.