This post is not finished it has not been edited or checked
Post to the north Kingsbury Roe Green
Post to the west Kenton Panteliemon
Post to the east Kingsbury Green
Part of Metroland but once a village called Tunworth. In the Domesday book it is ‘Chingsberie’ meaning ‘king’s manor’ granted by Edward the Confessor 1042-66 to Westminster Abbey – ‘Kynges Byrig’ 1044, ‘Kingesbir' 1199. After the Black Death the village centre moved from Blackbird Hill north to Kingsbury Green. The area remained rural but with the coming of Metroland became an independent local authority in 1900, and no longer part of Wembley. The centre moved further north in the 1920s.
Site of old moot of the Gore Hundred
A small park at the junction of Kingsbury Road and Church Road. In the middle ages a number of roads converged here and it became the main focus of the village which had moved from the Church Road area. Reduced to one acre in the 1920s following development
The road was straightened in the 1970s. During the 1930s the area expanded around the station to be joined by more shops and a cinema.
Vanden Plas bodyworks Kingsbury Works. Site originally used by the Kingsbury Aviation Company who, during the period 1917-1919,built Sopwith Snipe aircraft. It was re-named Kingsbury Engineering Company in 1919 and went into liquidation in 1921 after some unsuccessful attempts at scooter and motor car manufacture. Vanden Plas, now part of British Leyland, have over the years been involved in making bodies for such classic cars as Alvis, Armstrong Siddeley, Bugatti, Daimler, Bentley and Rolls Royce. Although still a viable company with full order books, they closed in November 1979 as part of the British Leyland rationalisation policy, production being moved to Coventry
527 Kingsbury Stationers
553 JJ Moons
Kingsbury Station 10th December 1880. Between Queensbury and Wembley Park on the Jubilee Line but built by the Metropolitan Railway. Cottage style, red brick station with shops, waiting room, tiled fireplace and Pretty electric lights. There are flats above the station, and five shops in each of the side blocks and three either side of the entrance When it was built there were no houses anywhere near. From the outside the station looks like a two-storey building – see the architectural trick in the booking hall. It was the first station on the Stanmore Branch but the style is that of Wembley Park and other 19th century Metropolitan stations. It was designed by Charles W.Clark. There are lots of Metropolitan Line fittings left inside - Isabella coloured tiling, plinth of polished granite and a band of green tiles at picture rail level; Clock framed in hard wood and centred line of telephone booths with hardwood frames with a matched new booking office frame; Brass sills and cash trays possibly from elsewhere; Another booking office window with some Metropolitan and some more recent LT elements; Blue industrial brick frame. The footbridge has 1930s bronze framed windows and walls framed in brown unglazed terracotta tiles And the Stair entrances framed in blue industrial brick and bronze handrails. On the platform are wooden framed quarter drop windows painted white. In 1939 It became a Bakerloo Line station. And in 1979 the Jubilee Line. It is nearer to Kingsbury Green than Kingsbury Town.