This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Post to the south Stratford
Post to the east Great Eastern Railway
Preserves the name of the old manor
of ‘Chabhames’ 1412, ‘Chobhams’ 1488, apparently so called from a family called
Chobham - no doubt from Chobham in
62 Chobham Arms. Green tiled pub. closed 1992 and became flats.
Wanstead Board School 1887.
infants in 1942
1894, old brick field laid
out for Drapers’ School as a playing field by the company
A small suburban crescent,
backed up against Leyton tube station, and crushed between the sunken motorway
A12, and Leyton High Road.
Board School. Built 1895,
modernised into a secondary modern in 1959.
boundary along the Temple
Mills stream, 1602 Shire stream, then Lead Mill stream then Waterworks river,
filled in 1952
By the middle of the 19th century Low Leyton (as it was than
known), was predominately rural areas, providing a setting for the
houses of wealthy city merchants and businessmen such as the Charringtons,
Buxtons, Barclays and Cottons. Thwew wAS forest, marshes, and farmland for the increasing London market. Leyton
was Until the late c19 a straggling village with gentry
houses and market gardens. Stations were opened on the line to Loughton in 1856 but
transformation to A working-class suburb came later when workmen's fares
were introduced on the Great Eastern Railway. The population rose from 10,394
in 1871 to 23,016 in 1881 and had doubled again ten years later.
Bachubhai Nagrech Hall.
Hindu cultural centre. Clements and Porter.2007
Bridge. Eighteenth century.
New River Co.
Junction with underground
and rail Leyton junction and interesting signal box
Stratford New Town
Was called Hudson Town
after Hudson the Railway King. For housing railway workers. Part of it was
built by Henniker. eg Henniker Road
Roman urns & coins
outside, Defoe said a Roman causeway through it