This post is not finished it is not edited or checked
Surrey Iron Railway
Off factory road turn into left Martin Crescent. Take the footpath at the
The ancient market town of Croydon
sat in the valley between the chalk hills of the North Downs and the clay
capped ridge of Norwood once covered by what is popularly known as the Great
North Wood. The borough is of special interest to geologists as it covers
almost the entire range of rock types found in the London basin. The
difficulties of farming on the highly permeable chalk explains why the bulk of
valuable wildlife habitat occurs on the dry valleys, which were grazed by sheep
well into this century. Yet Croydon has the largest population of any London
borough and the lack of open space of any kind, let alone of wildlife interest,
in the north of the borough is an indication of the pressure on habitat. The
dry valleys and chalk ridges are subject to the conflicting demands of
recreation or housing and what is often seen as half-hearted management of this
Saxon name is
Two Brewers pub Shepherd Neame tied house in 1970s
RC chapel 1841 first purpose built chapel in Croydon
by Croydon Council
Princess Royal pub
big gas light customers, Barracks. Now TA. 1754 built
for cavalry for the foreign services, HQ of Royal Wagon Train and in 1834
Still for lavender in a farmhouse near Canterbury Road Piese and
69 Pawson’s Arms
St.James, Commissioners Church, 1827/9, chancel 1881, font,
original galleries, set in 1871, reredos 1884, pulpit 1888, glass. Yellow brick
169 Gothic villa vicarage?
Jolly Gardeners pub
166 Oakfield Tavern
224 Windmill pub
Pond, orchard, ditch
144 Golden Lion The Golden Lion
was the badge of the Lion of Flanders
Archbishop John Sumner.
Teulon. 1851-2. Paid for by
Archbishop Sumner, concerned at the lack of churches in the growing town.
Designed to seat 700 (transepts with galleries). The Low Church layout was much disliked by
the Ecclesiologist. The chancel was lengthened and a west bay added to the nave
in 1860, to Teulon's designs. Flint-faced, with freestone banding, the details
less eccentric than in some of his other buildings, although there are several
odd features such as the West 'transept'
of the South porch, and the crazy turret with spire on the end of the nave, and
some characteristic Teulonesque tracery - spherical triangles in the transepts.
Vestries added 1930. - Art Nouveau font, 1908. - Stained glass in the apse by
Clayton & Bell, 1891.