This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked

Parsloes Avenue

Railway tracks were laid down the centre of these avenues to transport building materials on to the estate from the river, their line still represented by the generous grass verges of the completed design.

Parsloes Park

Parsloes Park 

Site of Parsloes Manor and 13th owner.  House demolished 1925.

Lake is an old gravel pit

Hedge at the southern edge reminder of the gardens of Parsloes Hall

The LCC only provided this as a park for Becontree, reserved from the grounds of the house as the central open space. Lakes created from gravel pits   Parsloes Park lies on the site of Parsloes Manor, named after Hugh Passelewe, a thirteenth century owner. In 1619 the manor passed to the Fanshawe family, who owned it for 300 years until it was sold to the London County Council at the time of the First World War. The house, which had fallen into disrepair, was demolished in 1925 but the park was kept as open space for the residents of the Becontree Estate, then under construction. It was opened as a public park in 1935 to celebrate the official completion of the estate. The park remained the property of the LCC and then the Greater London Council until 1980, after which it passed to the Borough. The majority of the park is a vast, level plain of short mown amenity grassland  The presence of these patches reflects the sandy and nutrient poor nature of the underlying River Terrace Gravels. There is great potential for habitat creation here; the establishment of heathland scrub including birch, gorse, broom and heather would be a colourful, as well as wildlife rich, addition. The areas of wildlife value covered by this site are the lake in the park's south-west corner and an unmanaged grassland a little to the north, locally called the Squatts". . Mallards, tufted ducks and Canada geese are present in winter; a flock of over twenty shovelers regularly visit to feed, Several pairs of coots nest on the lake, their noisy squabbling signifying the aggressive territorial disputes so characteristic of this species. The shyer moorhen, recognised by its red and yellow bill and white tail flashes, frequents the vegetated lake margins, and the more elusive little grebe sometimes occurs. Large willows of three species grace the two islands and parts of the lake edge. The lake is surrounded by a railing fence, which serves to protect the water birds from excessive disturbance from dogs and people. This protection, and the seclusion afforded by the      vegetated islands and ornamental shrubberies inside the fence, also offers a safe retreat for several grey herons, which can generally be seen roosting on waterside snags. Although herons visit many ponds and streams in the Borough to hunt for fish, they do not breed in Barking and Dagenham; the nearest nesting colony, London's largest, is at Walthamstow Reservoirs.  a few larger trees - oak, sweet chestnut and wych elm grace the lawns north of the pond, evidently pre-dating the establishment of the public park. Another reminder of the park's manorial past is the rough grassland of The Squatts and the old hawthorn hedge along its southern boundary. The hedge was probably once part of the boundary of the gardens of Parsloes House and has now grown out and been colonised by the odd elder, sycamore and yew. Along the south edge of The Squatts hawthorn saplings, seeded from the adjacent hedge, are appearing among the grass sward.  The more formal part of the park, around the lake, is closed at dusk but the rest, including The Squatts, is unfenced and offers unlimited public access.

Parsloes House. Gone, demolished in 1925. The original manor house of the area from the Parsloes family 1257.

Porters Avenue

Railway tracks were laid down the centre of these avenues to transport building materials on to the estate from the river, their line still represented by the generous grass verges of the completed design.

Wood Lane

Row of restrained brick houses with mature elms

St.Elizabeth, Neo-Perpendicular, baroque bell cote.  Paid for by Mothers Union 

Bentry Heath House

Baptist Church

Robert Clack School

39a old building kept when the estate was built

Dagenham pumping station


Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow