This post is not finished it is not edited or checked
Acres, the edge of town until the 1860s
Six Bells pub was
Nightingale's local brewery
was the Three Tuns
Called after the
Conservative Land Society's secretary
Building plots on
it built on site of Kingston Militia Barracks by Conservative Land Co.
Kingston Sorting Office Purpose built telephone exchange. Built in
1908. Arts and Crafts style
area. Used for council housing, only
three of the nine local pubs replaced in redevelopment
Baths built here
in 1855 converted from the local debtors prison. Did not pay and in 1862 were converted into
Harrison who bought up Norbiton Hall and built on the lands. Brassey's son in law. Close links with Birkenhead. Developed by Bee Land Co.
Exchange. By J. H.
Markham, 1937. With long window bands, but high, not low windows. Broad
mullions between, faced with black glazed tiles
Brewery. Extensive site from 1600s until
1951. Nineteenth century Rowlls family
sold it in 1882. Became Courage 1943. Corner stable block of Hodson's Kingston
The Hawks, another grand house
Norbiton Place site. Palmer West Indian sugar planter, lake, fancy
garden, gradually demolished. Estate
sold 1830s. New house built, by 1900s
was the White Rose Laundry, then motor showrooms
Norbiton Hall, now name of flats but originally
built 1829. In the mid 18th it was the home of Sir John Phillips,
who had a Sengalese servant who made money as a Kingston coal merchant. PM Liverpool’s wife, then Mr. Guy. Sold in the 1880s. Demolished 1930s
municipal housing scheme built here in 1921
Celestion Ltd. loudspeaker makers here 1929-1948.
Canbury means 'manor
held by canons', land in Kingston held by the canons of Merton Priory. The name
survives in the designations of several streets – ‘Canonbury’ 1375, ‘Canbery
until the railway was built
Jolly Brewers pub
was Nightingale's local brewery
Canbury Park Road
Department of Engineering in old aircraft factory. In 1912 Thomas Sopwith began
his aviation factory in an old roller skating rink. The skating rink was eventually demolished but
parts of the factory remain as part of Kingston Poly. Hawker produced their
line of bi-plane fighters at Canbury Park but in 1933 bought the Gloster
Aircraft Company. In 1935 the Hurricane
prototype was built at Kingston and the company retained a technical department
here until 1963.
49 Canbury Arms
Frank Bentall 1867 bought Hatt's shop.
Instant cash refunds. 1900 bought
four neighbouring shops. Frontage
modelled on Hampton Court, restaurant and tearoom Hampton Court Wrennaissance. Maurice Webb.
Bentall's Removal Store. Stuccoed Italianate
until the railway was built
C & A built
on a spot which Constable painted
Reject Shop is
converted Empire Theatre closed in 1955.
Site of Canbury House, the home of the Root family. Very rural.
Sold in 1906
50 shops built as
Bournemouth Terrace 1880s on site of Trigg's stonemason's yard
46 had been
Austin's jam shop expanded into a factory
site of Victorian Theatre was actually in Fife Road as Alababy Hall. Became the Royal County Theatre, then became
a cinema, and went bankrupt. Burnt down
in 1940. Eighteenth century building.
Orange Tree Pub.
John Lewis department stores are usually in new or out of
town shopping centre locations. John Lewis site in Kingston is a mix. The place
is an established suburban area and its core is undergoing radical
transformation and 'modernisation'. ABK's riverside scheme conceives of this
store as a brick-walled place with massive amounts of internal lighting. The
large, open interior is engaged as a set of terraces linked by escalators
merchandise showcase enhanced by the light. Daylight is even brought through
the lowest level supermarket, although the stores are otherwise kept separate.
The scheme takes two large areas, sets their diagonally raking roofs back, and
accommodates administration, lifts, escape stairs, air conditioning vent
towers, etc. around the perimeter. Car parking is at basement level
shop now Laura Ashley
Called Tills Road
because Till lived there
Road built by the
railway co though the Canbury Lodge Park
Canbury Lodge, on
the corner. Fisher, master of
Charterhouse, and daughters there.
Railway Company bought the estate 1865, then Sherrard family, 1910. Kingston Picture Theatre built in the
grounds. 1983 Studio 7. Old house blown up in gas explosion
1914. Now bus station
Furnishings factory was built as Austin's jam factory. Local shop making their own jam
Was formerly ‘Hethenstret’ i.e.,
'heathen street'; it is suggested that this refers simply to heath land.
from the market is closed by
some stuccoed houses but beyond the landscape abruptly disintegrates leading
back from the junction of High Street and
Market Place around the edge of the old town.
Was little built up before the
later c19. The main buildings are
massive shopping precincts:
development of the 1970s
rather better, with a curved brick front to Eden Street
and covered passages to Eden Walk, 1979.
Post Office. Good purpose-built Gothic 1875 by R. Richardson. Listed Grade. Three storey
New Shopping Centre.
Shops pleasantly staggered but dominated by the car park.
United Reform church formerly Congregational
1855-6 by Barnett & Birch. Dignified classical front. Halls rebuilt and the
interior of the church altered - apse and gallery removed, new foyer and glazed
vestibule formed. By Frederick Barber of Barber Bundy & Greenfield,
remains there, pottery and tile kiln remains
Chambers. 1879 built by speculator
Boxall. Carved eagle on Libra bird
22 Seven Saxons
Staggered shop fronts below concrete panels, and a well-concealed multi-storey car park
above, is the first phase of
this development. 1968 by Ronald Ward
Area developed by
British Land Co from farm land in the 1870s Park Farm
thoroughfare called Hog Lane. 2 houses
Wych Elm. Pub with a Spanish landlord. Traditional pub with good flower shows. Jazz
and home cooking.
Gas works. New Malden Gas Coal and Coke Co., Jonson
Weber Ponder and Mcgill. 1868 owned by
Ebenezer Viney manager Mr. Bliss. Closed
down for nuisance taken over by Kingston Gas Co
Works: railway yard for them; in 1930 Anglo-American Oil
taught Merlin, has his picture on one of the columns
old people, by Kingston Architect's Department, 1970-1
preserving Littlefield as a Peoples' Park in 1859. Common grazing land being nibbled away by
development. Big rows on the council
about it. 1889 laid out
Albion pub. Old Fricker pub
Art Gallery and Museum. 1904, also by Cox. A
handsome, small red brick building with pilasters; blind arches on the upper
floor corresponding to the gallery inside
A. Cox, 1903. Quite pretty, brick, neo-Georgian, nine bays wide, with a big
portal. In front a pier perhaps from a building in the High Street: a respond
with a concave centre and triple shafts at the angles. The style looks c.1300
Built in 1864 to
replace alley called Bridewell Alley. It
ran alongside the Bridewell and this was replaced in 1852 with a barracks for
the Royal Surrey Militia
merchants house said to have come from King John’s Palace
St Joseph's School. Built as Tiffin's School,
1880, also by Loxwood King.
until the railway was built
building furniture store of Mr. Smith in 1886
receiving dock site of R.White mineral water factory
St.Luke. Corner with Burton Road, 1889 replacing
iron church. Paid for by Lady Wolverton
and has highest spire in the Borough. By Kelly & Birchall. Brick.
Hardman ex owner of Norbiton Hall
Outlines body on
the Libra bird, was called Hog Lane after the Hogsmill River’. Or name might be Danish
for hawk. Named after the Hawks, big
Hogsmill River flowing from Ewell
into the River Thames at Kingston. Named in 1638 from Hogs Mill in Kingston,
which is ‘Hoggs Myll’ in 1535 from a local family called Hogg. The earlier name
of the river was ‘Siftteboume’ 1439, that is 'dirty or muddy stream', from Old
English. The main source of the river is at Ewell in Surrey, the name of which
means 'river-spring', from Old English ‘swell.
Portion west of
Richmond Road previously called First Lane
King's Arms The
Age Coach to Brighton stopped there 1860s
from no railway, which was kept away by the coaching interests, grain for malt
was staple to them, trade was moving away.
Kingston Station. Between Norbiton and Hampton Wick on South Western Trains. Built in 1861
after much argument on the site of tithe barn belonging to Canbury Hall. Market
garden grounds, over the road on an arch.
Designed by John Strapp assistant to Brassey at Nine Elms who lived in
Surbiton. In 1866 powers were obtained
for line to go to Malden and to Waterloo and a station was built as a terminus
and called ‘Kingstone New’ or ‘Kingston Town’ but soon changed to ‘Kingston’ as
the older main line station was renamed. It was decided to remodel the station
and a new high level station built in 1934 with a red brick front, shops in
front, low level station became the loading bay and bus station, some cast iron
pillars were left, art deco ladies, passimeter booking office. This was done with local authority help.
Present siding is a realigned part of the old station. More remodelling done in 1988 with a new
ticket office and shops.
Goods yard closed
Siding to Fyfees
bananas not closed with the rest of the goods depot
This dates from 1869, and was for a line from Kingston to Ripley, which would
have passed through the centre of Cobham. This would have run from Kingston station, through Surbiton and
eventually across the northern part of Cobham. It would then have swung south,
crossing what are now Anyards Road and Between Streets, skirted the Pains Hill
estate and finally terminated on Ripley Green
. A proposal made in 1879 was for a line from Kingston to Cobham with a station
on the site of what is now Oakdene Parade. This line would have cut across the
Baton Park estate, through what is now Mizen Way and along the foot of Leigh
Hill. If carried through, the scheme
would have involved tunnelling under part of Oxshott Heath 'and diverting the
line about 200 years to the east.
two-bay houses of the late c 18.
88 Flamingo and
105, early c
late c 18
Vine House of five bays with lower two-bay wings and
pilastered doorcase, early c 18
155-157 18th with early 19th façade
Almshouses, 1668 The brick range of, consists of
six houses on each side of a gabled centre with a
flat door surround of rusticated blocks
of alternating size and three horizontal oval
windows over. Joshua Marshall made the
coat of arms in 1670.
Norbiton stately home left
Kingston Grammar School, 1877/8. Schools on Libra founded under Elizabeth By
John Loxwood King of Surbiton, 1877—8, in 'scholastic Gothic' Brick bell-turret
with a shingled spire. The part with a lower roof was the headmaster's house.
Chantry to St.Mary Magdalene.
Survived dissolution. Richard
Lovekyn was four times Lord Mayor of London.
Collegiate. A chantry chapel
founded in 1309, partly rebuilt in 1352, later
used as a chapel of Kingston grammar school, and
much renewed in 1886 after
the school moved out. Flanked by turrets.
Perpendicular tracery. Inside,
two shallow recesses face one another. Their purpose is unknown.
St.Peter’s. Commissioners church 1841 by Scott
& Moffat. Yellow and white brick, in the Norman style, with tower. Interior
with Norman columns and still three galleries. One of Scott's first seven
churches, which he afterwards called 'ignoble'; the censure not deserved in
this case. Chancel and baptistery added 1909.
Tiffin's School. Given in 1380 for sons of the
honest poor. Partly 19th yellow brick. Tiffin library and Sixth Form
Centre on the site of farm owned by Lovekyn Chapel. House 1750, called Walnut Tree House, bought
by Tiffin in the 1920s partly early c 19, of yellow brick;
Minerva Road (Kingston) adjoins the
Fairfield Recreation Ground; but Minerva Road N.W.10 does not directly allude
to the goddess. It was named after a motor work s.
House c 1820. Yellow brick in Flemish bond
Drill Hall, 1862
for 12th century Surrey Rifle Volunteers and built with no public lavatories
Kingston Gas Works north of Kingston Station. In the 1920s and 1930s also
access here to the Anglo American Oil. Co Depot.
Was Canbury Lane,
changed when the railway meant the break of the Canbury Lodge Estate. Housing
development as private estates were built in the 1930s.
Canbury Lodge stretched as far as Canbury Park Road
Almshouses, 1688, six poor men and six poor women. Coat of Arms 1670.
Motors, corner of Albany Park Road, site of Entrance gates of Point Pleasant,
or Bank Farm. Nash, 1797 for St.John MP
with Repton Grounds. Very opulent,
royalty etc. sold 1884. Became Albany
Club and burnt down 1907
Granada. The last complete theatre by George Coles was the Granada Kingston, a
scheme for Hyams and to be known as the State, but taken over before completion and with a
Komisarjevsky-style interior. It opened two months after war had broken out,
with Reginald Dixon of Blackpool fame at a rebuilt Wurlitzer.
46 Grey Horse
St. James Road,
1858 road cut
through Rowlls Park part of Brewery Grounds
County Court 1961
By C. G. Pinfold.
St James Hall
built as a local assembly hall. Hardly
used and by 1864 was a furniture warehouse.
Eventually a cinema and demolished in the 1960s
Candle Shop set
up 1857 first house built in the road by Ranyard, local candle maker.
Willoughby Arms. Victorian pub slightly off the beaten
track. Two bar local with games and a
saloon. Where the Preservation of Beer from the Wood Society meets. The function room upstairs is where Eric
Clapton and the Yardbirds used to rehearse.
Site of Down Hall, Fifteenth century Skerne. Estate cut up by railway
and sewage works, 1934 bought by Bentall’s. Prominent,
Public bath built
by the council in 1897,
Part of Bentall's
was Priest and Woolnough forge