Kings Cross Lane - Kings Mead Estate
Housing Estate on old industrial land
Brick and tile works. This site operated until about the beginning of the 20th century but eventually became used by the Nutfield Manufacturing Co. Ltd. A brick and tile works to the SW of the village (later the acid works,) was purchased by Henry Edwards and its products were used in the construction of the village
Jam container factory. In the Great War , jam was sold in containers made of cardboard or 'papier mache' impregnated with wax. The tops and the bottoms of the cartons were made of tinned steel. British wax refiners were asked to set up a reclamation plant. They company dissolved the wax from used cartons and reclaimed it by a distillation process. The papier mache was also recovered. The tin plate were passed on elsewhere for recovery.
National Reclaimers Limited The 'acid works' was a relatively small business, but was to become more and more obtrusive. James Wilkinson and Sons Ltd. they had made manufactured hydrofluoric acid in Sheffield but in 1925 Frank Wilkinson sold it and decided to buy the old brick and tile works at South Nutfield for a new manufacturing plant. It was cheap site, had a railway siding, and in an area with few other makers. It is a dangerous substance and made difficulty, by the hazardous interaction of fluorspar and sulphuric acid. This process lasted until the 1950s. Nutfield Manufacturing Company Ltd, also sold distilled water, battery acid sodium fluoride, ammonium thioglycollate for hair perms and various other chemicals. Eventually they diluted hydrofluoric acid provided by other companies, one of which was Imperial Smelters, which was part of RTZ. In 1965 RTZ bought the Nutfield Company. It closed in 1984, and the plant demolished in 1985; the site is now a new housing estate.
Office buildings and neighbouring houses of Nutfield Reclaimers. R the entrance to the housing estate.
Concrete Buildings, A group of concrete war-time buildings hidden east of South Nutfield.
Little Cormongers = Nutfield Mill The Rocque's map of 1768 calls what is now South Nutfield as “Mill Street”. It is known there was a water mill at Little Cormonger's farm – which is a mile or so during the 17th century seems to indicate a water mill at this site. There is a small pond still in existence fed by springs but no other sign of a mill. The site is on the hillside and the stream issuing from it has been piped away. Is this Nutfield's Domesday mill site?
Nutfield Station The station was opened in 1884 but it is not clear what the relationship was between the railway and the village. It may be significant that Sir Myles Fenton who was General Manager to the South Eastern Railway came to live in the village at that time and that plots of land for houses were sold to Sir Edward Watkin, (also an MP.) who was the Chairman of the SER board. Also Edwards was allowed free travel on the line. The station once contained a waiting room, a post office and a ticket office and there was a signal box on the south west side. Sidings served the coal yard to the south west and the adjacent brick works which later became chemical works. It died, in the traditional sense, with the steam age in 1967 and since then has been little more than a train stop. The station buildings and the signal were demolished. The coal sidings were finally built over in 1991-1992. In preparation for the Channel Tunnel freight traffic a pedestrian over bridge was installed in 1992 to replace the level crossing.
The Station Hotel was built after 1884 and still stands as a pub.
Medieval Pottery Kiln. A medieval kiln was detected on this site north of railway line on east side of village in the 1960s.
The financial collapse of the bank Overend Gurney in 1866 caused its principal shareholder H E Gurney to sell his property to the south of Nutfield village. some was purchased by Sir Henry Edwards MP who began to develop the area. The various social classes were separated since the most expensive houses were built away from the least expensive.