London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
St.Alban and St.Stephen R.C. consecrated 1977
St.Alban's Baptist Church Opened in 1885. The present church replaced one of 1720 which had
become too small but the Baptist faith has been preached here since 1640. A
prized possession is a Communion Table which is at least 300 years old
St Albans City
Station 1st October 1868. After Radlett on the Thameslink Line. Midland Railway.
St Albans South Signal Box. All timber Midland Railway signal box of 1892, with 44-lever Tumbler frame, now disused,
listed grade II.
City Museum in Town Hall, designed by George Smith who
built Greenwich Station
St.Paul C.of E.
College of Further Education
Marlborough Buildings. Almshouses from 1736 paid for by Sarah, Duchess
of Marlborough. They are modest in height and lacking any representational
effects. There is a courtyard with buildings on three sides and a large cedar tree.
Everards pub, now owned by Old English Inns.. Guest beers are from smaller
brewers such as Nethergate.
St Albans City Museum. Local history museum, founded 1899, includes important Salaman collection of
Lower Dagnall Street
32 Farriers' Arms
36 hat factory behind
here,. Belonged to W. Macqueen & Co, best seen from Inkerman Road.
Hat factory Between
here and Lattimore Road. Belonged to E Day (St Albans) Ltd. It is now flats
E. 1902. It has a 15th century font which came from Maldon in Essex.
Pemberton Almshouses founded by Duchess of Marlborough
St Peter's. founded
in 984 by Abbot Ursinus,the sixth Abbot
of St. Albans. It is one of three churches built at the entrances to the town
and it stands at the north gate on the diverted Watling Street in a burial ground and open space at the top the
street.In 1455 1,400 dead were buried
there as a result of the first battle of the Wars of the Roses. The current
church was rebuilt in 1804, after the partial collapse of the former tower in
1801.A new central
tower, which has four pinnacles and a spike on the parapet, was then built. The church was restored and the tower raised in
height by Lord Grimthorpe in 1898 and there is also a clock and a peal of ten
bells, one of which weighs 24 cwt. no traces remain of
original cruciform church which was altered and enlarged in the 15th century,
and some parts remain of that period including the angel corbels of the original
15th century roof. Memorials: a brass to Roger Pemberton died 1627 who founded
the alms-houses opposite the church; a small monument to Edward Strong died
1723 who was Sir Christopher Wren's master mason at St Paul's Cathedral.
Vicarage, late c17. Demolished. It was of 2 bays and
two and a half storeys, with quoins, and a lower wing.
1 late c16 but refaced in the late c17, with
seven bays, two storeys, and three dormers. The centre on the upper floor is
emphasized by a door in a projecting brick frame which leads to a balcony with
6, a modest four-bay Georgian façade
10-12 National Westminster
Bank, harsh Gothic of the late
16 The Grange a country house rather than a town house.It is mid Georgian, of purple brick with red
brick dressings, and a front of five bays, and a door case with attached Ionic
columns.. Staircase and plasterwork inside.The house is set off by the two paths which flank it, leading to City
Hall and the Civic Centre.
Forkes House, with a blank wall and mosaic facing the
Lockey House, too large for the street, with the jarring
note of bands of thin horizontal windows. These are part of the Civic Centre
development by Frederick Gibberd & Partners, 1960.
Forrester two Barns behind converted into a restaurant.
The larger is from Water End, c17, the other from Great Holmead.
32, early c18, with segment-headed windows and
Tuscan door case.
36, early c19 with Gothic glazing bars;
38, late c18, yellow brick, with nice fascia.
40 is bigger and heavier than the others, mid c19th
brick, three storeys, five bays, with a ponderous porch.
41 an equally large building with central
58-60 St Peter's Workhouse
72-76, distinguished by the odd occasional use of
103 1829 by George Smith in the Grecian taste, with
a closed porch with Ionizing pillars.
105, the former vicarage. Slightly recessed, in the
Tudor taste, an asymmetrical composition, stuccoed. It may date from before
197 Ivy House, built for himself by Edward Strong with four
bays and three storeys in purple brick with red dressings. It has giant angle
pilasters and a door case with Tuscan columns, and a frieze. Discreet c20
additions at the sides. staircase inside.
Pemberton Almshouses. 1627, a simple one-storeyed row of six,
without gables or any other display features
3 Jolly Sailor
Upper Lattimore Road
Friends Meeting House
Upper Marlborough Road
Wimbledon Column for sewer
53 Hat Factory.
Built as three-storey red brick, that was the straw hat factory of Edward Scott.
Second Scott factory, nowoffices, diagonally
Hat factory of E Day between Marlborough and Lattimore
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by