London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
All Saints church. Mainly 15th century
although the chancel walls are 13th. the embattled tower with a
spike and a stair turret to the belfry is also 15th.There is a 13th century piscina in the
chancel.There is a carved early 17th
century pulpit with two crowing cocks on it - to signify the cock crowing to
St-Peter. the reredos, crammed with figures, was put up over the altar in
1878.Monuments: decorated tomb of
Edmund Langley,who was born here and
whose body was moved from the Friary when it was suppressed. He was the 5th son
of Edward III and became the first Duke of York: the tomb is surrounded with
also buried in the Friary
was the murdered Richard II, although he was removed in 1413 to Westminster
Abbey. Piers Gaveston was also buried in the town with the Abbot of St.Albans
officiating, which pleased the king and got the abbey lots of favours..Gaveston had been executed at Scarborough.
Rose and Crown.The pub name symbolises the union of York and Lancaster in the marriage
of Henry VIand Elizabeth of York.
Methodist Church . 1935-
a large village in the
Gade valley, with an interesting history. The Royal Palace of Chiltern Langley
was built by Henry III and it was a favourite residence of the Plantagenet
sovereigns. Edward II endowed the Dominican Friary nearby. Some of the
14th-century arches are incorporated in the school, which stands on the site..
All that remains of the royal palace is a heap of rubble in a garden.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n