Nutfield High Street
Park Works. Park works was a collection of brick buildings from the 19th constituting a processing plant. It was demolished in 1988. The cleared site is behind the old village school on the north side of the A25 in Nutfield village. Park Works was built for James Cawley who came from Bletchingley and started a large development of pits between Park Works and Cormongers Lane. Later it was called Cockley Quarry.
Fullers Earth Union Ltd. A modern
complex works for woollen manufacture. Cutting in M23
Chart Lodge. house built 1780, was by John William Grece - who was the first to have a devote business entirely for fuller's earth. Behind the house and to the west are the remains of Grece's Chartfield pit dating to the early years of the 19th.
Well House. On the north side home of James Cawley (1822-1882) and his son Claude William Cawley. Claude William Cawley became a dominating figure in he English fuller's earth business and he was the first managing director of the Fuller’s Earth Unions Ltd. He also worked a hearthstone mine at Betchworth.
Crown now a vet's
Nutfield Village. A linear village along the A25 with a
few buildings dating before the 19th. There was woollen manufacture in the 17th. . It was closely connected with the fuller's earth industry and buildings quoinstone from
the fuller's earth pits are evident.
Almost the whole of the south side of the ridge between Capenor and Chartfield has been worked for fullers earth.. Most of the former pits have been used as small landfill sites but it is still possible to find traces of workings north of Priory Farm.
Copyhold Works. On north side of the A25. In 1993 this was still in use as the last surviving fuller's earth plant and was used for crushing, drying and screening the earth.
Park Works Nature reserve on the demolition of Park Works processing plant shallow settling pits and pond
Pits to the north merge into sand pits and were at the point of exhaustion in 1993 are were largely operated as landfill sites.
Nutfield Quarry. Modernised by Laporte in 1982 for cat litter
Laporte Earths. Park Woods nature trail. Fullers’ earth works. Path from A215 to quarry line.
St. Peter & St.Paul’s Church. Down a sunken road. Built 13-15th and restored in the 18th. Faced, with roughcast concrete with a 15th tower with a spire and six bells. Burne Jones window done by Morris Monuments.
Inn on the Pond. Preserved Pits - South west of the pub are old steep sided fuller's earth pits. Such pits were a familiar feature of the landscape but most are now filled.
Narrow Road The Greensand ridge between Redhill and Godstone constituted a defensive line and roads running north-south over it are generally steep and sunken between high sided banks. An exception is Sandy Lane where the road follows a shallow gradient up to Nutfield and during the war its width was deliberately restricted, by the military, by erecting a low wall on the east side.