London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This lane has been cleared
by volunteers to make it part of a walking route. This has been followed by
tree planting, using indigenous species
Just a clump of bushes. Coldharbour
was once a settlement with cottages and barns set in the heavy Essex clay.
Byfield Cottage on the Harlow Road was moved from there. The prefix
"cold" is given in a dictionary of place names as "bleak
exposed" but there is also a tradition of linking such names to the production of charcoal. The
trees were planted in the mid '70s as the first stage of a parish wide planting
Once went to common lands Didgemere
century cottages row of weatherboarded cottages
taller than the rest of the group it was one house which was later divided into
cottages, and had been bought in 1778 by the parish "in order to convert
the same into a workhouse". An allowance of two shillings a week was
provided to the master to "keep, cloathe and maintain the poor in every thing
that is necessary". A decision to sell the house again was taken in 1838.
The internal design is an intriguing one; it is virtually square and divided
into four equal parts.
Byfield Cottage moved from Coldharbour to present site.
World's End Copse. This is a strip of mixed
woodland, too steep or too wet to be farmed, with a range of hazel, oak, ash,
elder field maple, willow and blackthorn. The area is managed, with new hazel
planted inmany places and a coppicing
programme which began in 1993 and it is intended
that eventually the new growth will be harvested to make hurdles.
stream called the Bourn which joins the
Stort Navigation near Roydon Lock.
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis