Imposing house, with huge copper dome, built in 1897 by Mr Bevan Braithwaite,a Banker, Government Stockholder and amateur Astronomer, immense cellars linked by hatches and one of them contained a huge boiler which provided hot air to the ground floor via brass gratings in the flooring. in the dome Mr Braithwaite’s telescope was on a rail, enabling it to be turned 360 degrees. During the war the copper dome was painted black. demolished
High Barnet Station. opened 1st April 1872. Terminus of the Northern Line from Totteridge and Whetstone. The Great Northern Railway originally built the Northern Line Station at High Barnet and the line comes from Finchley Central. It became part of the Northern Line in 1940. It has a very steep bridge approach, which meant that in icy weather there was trouble. It was built on the site of Barnet racetrack. The station still retains much of its original 19th architectural character. It had two platforms, one of them an island. A Bell from the station is in a museum – this was the Minute Bell which let passengers know when the train was going until 1940.
Allotments – paths and ponds.
Woodcock Farm was bought by the British Land Co in 1868 and laid out as housing.
Great North Road
Odeon Cinema. At the bottom of Barnet Hill. 1934 by Edgar Simmons. Prominent double-height windows in Moorish style, flanked by brick towers with diapering and obelisks at the sides. Two-level foyer with Moorish pay boxes and green marble columns. Subdivided, but in the upper cinema much of the balconied An Deco auditorium remained. Continues the Moorish theme with stepped mouldings around ogee lancets. Cubist light fittings; ceiling with octagonal centrepiece with jazzy lozenge pattern.
King George’s Fields
Acquired in the 1930s for the reign of George V
55 Friends Meeting House
Older road initially untouched by development generated by the station.
St.Mark’s. 1896-9 by Frank Pearson. The building is part CofE and part Orthodox as the church of St.Catherine within St.Mark’s.
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London. Britannia Foundry. Later EVIIR cypher. Small 15" diameter 1901-1904
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London. Foundry; Britannia Later E VII R cypher Small 15" dia. 1901 - 1904