Hamsley Green
Boundary London/Surrey/Croydon
The boundary follows the curving edge of Beeches Shaw
The boundary comes west along the bottom edge of Mossyhill Shaw and
turns south along the edge and continues
Beech Way
Horseshoe Clump
Valley View
Cherry Tree Green
Council Estate 1948. big green
Kings Wood
Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816, earlier ‘Kinges Woodes’
1595, so named from the family of William Kyng 1332. However it was earlier
called Sanderstead Wood.
Ancient woodland South of Selsdon Park owned by the local council. Linear earthworks run across the north of the site and may be the site of an ancient farmstead. The coppiced wood was used for game shoots and a grid of rides and four conifers were planted as markers at each crossing in the 19th. The wood was bombed in the Second World War and the debris remained there for a long time.
Kingswood Kennels – includes the original keeper’s
cottage, and the dogs here belong to Croydon Council’s security department.
Romano British settlement site on the northern
boundary, a small farmstead. Enclosed by a semi-circular earthwork. Iron Age and later track ways lead to the
site on ancient trade routes.
Cemetery from the 1st next to the
settlement site.
Dene holes –over 40 in the wood but all of them are
filled.
Kingswood
Kingswood Lodge
Mossy Hill Shaw
Pinewood Cottage
Cottage in the Field
Ryefield Road
Wells Shaw
Kingswood Shaw
Comments