London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Oxted railway tunnel
2087m. 1865 200,
St.Agatha’s Church. Up on the Downs. Meanest little
village church in Surrey. Old church much
restored. Smallest in Surrey and one of the highest. tiny old church.
Seatingonly 50 people was
replaced in 1933 by the new church ofSt.
Paul.Only one tiny room divided into
two parted by a wooden screen and having no bell, or spire or tower. It was
rebuilt in the early 19th having been ruinous at various times since
the middle ages.
Great Church Wood. Golf Course. Barrowleys was the name of
the field to the east of the wood, where the golf course has now been built.
Three barrows appear on 19th maps.
ridge-top lane lined with largehouses and tidy hedges
Flemings – it the Woldingham Artillery
Magazines As part of the 1880s scheme two unfortified artillery
magazines were built north of Oxted Lime Works. one has a house built on it.
They lie back from The Ridge a few metres to the east of Southview road. the
magazines lie in the grounds of Flemings, built in 1910 over the magazines. It is
private In the late 1880s the French were considered to be the potential
aggressor and a plan was drawn up to construct a system of stop lines along the
North Downs to the Thames should the Royal Navy fail to prevent a landing. This
led to the construction of mobilisation centres plus ammunition and trench
digging tools – trenches only to be dug by volunteers in case of war. 13
centres were built between 1893 and 1902 but they looked like forts. The fort
had rampart and a metal fence. Wardens cottages and store - The caretakers were
the only people who ever manned them and the whole scheme was abandoned in 1905.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n