London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
37-45 exceptionally long row of jettied houses.16th or early 17th.Originally individual entrances but a common
stair to upstairs lodgings.One original
chimneystack at the east end.
Ernest Bernays Memorial Institute.1870. Brick stripes and lettered tiles.Loveable.
82 Broadway House supermarket.Tradionalist garb of the 80s.Gollins Melvin and Ward.1982
Parade Man in the Moon.
Friendly, town-centre Wetherspoon's with a wide entrance, tapering to a
narrower area. Pleasant atmosphere incorporating the history of old Stanmore.
There are some interesting glass lighting panels over part of the seating
Part of Warren House Estate of mid-1930s.Landlord Sir John Fitzgerald got Gerald Lacoste to design six
exceptional Modern Movement buildings.1935. Geometrical austerity with a mix of materials.
1 3 6 16
14 for Reginald Uren by himself.
Kerry House.Bold transitional
1932. Terminus of Jubilee Line Station from Canon’s Park. Built on the
Metropolitan Line as the Terminus of line from Baker Street. It was however
half a mile from the village and went No further because of the expensive of
tunnels but it was planned to allow for a through station.It is on the summit of the line and scooped out of the side of the
hill.The station would not have
looked out of place on a country gentleman's state with four chimneys and
Dormer windows, tiles, clock.The building in multi coloured red
brick and the interior hall of khaki toned tiles with plaster friezes and
features framed in hardwood.It
was designed by Charles Clark in neo Georgian with an Awning and white cast
iron pillars, shops, 1930s globe lights and LT brackets, Isabella coloured tiles,
moulded plaster frieze, and dark hardwood woodwork.There is an Island platform with waiting
room. In 1939 it became a
Bakerloo Line station and in 1979 part of the Jubilee Line. Station park
and ride since 1975.It is the end of the Jubilee Line and at the
end of the footpath from the station to the car park are the trains lined up
ready to go out.
Goods siding. The only goods site
originally on the line.
Attlee lived there west of the station.
137 Rising Sun
Park Farm Estate
The Metropolitan Line to Stanmore here meets the Enfield Ridge and thus
enters its terminus in a cutting.
'Place by stony pool',
possibly alluding to one of the ponds, which still exist in the gravelly
outcrops on the clay soil. ‘ Stanmere’ 1086,‘Sanmare' 1392,’ Stanmar the More’ 1563, ‘Stanmore the Great’ 1574.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n