The London/Hertfordshire boundary - Hadley Wood
The London/ Enfield/Hertfordshire boundary goes north east to Wagon Road and turns east along it. At Long Hill it turns north east
Monken Mead Brook flows eastwards to Pymmes Brook. It is joined by a tributary from Bartram's Quash to the north
Post to the west Hadley Wood
Post to the north Enfield Chase
Post to the east West Lodge
Post to the south Hadley Wood
Sites on the London, Enfield side of the boundary
Hadley Wood Station. 1885 Between Potters Bar and New Barnet on Great Northern Railway. Received additional platforms at the time of the widening, and its building at track level assumed a rather austere late 1950s appearance. The booking office of much older origin, spanned the original two tracks, and was the last surviving link with the old station, lasting almost until electrification. 1974 the modest rebuilt waiting shelters on the down island had already been replaced 10m 46ch from Kings Cross. In 1885 Charles Jack, local landowner subsidised the building of the station and wanted it called Beech Hill Park. In 1880 he had begun negotiations with the Great Northern Railway and part-funded the construction of the new station
Bartram’s Lane Field and Cricket Ground
Beech Hill Park
Jack saw the potential of his estate to become an upmarket residential suburb, and negotiated with the Duchy of Lancaster for a building lease in 1884 and part-funded the new station, which opened in 1885. Thereafter, the estate was developed quickly. After Jack died in 1896, the management of the estate passed to a Trust. This continued the building programme,
Great Broadgates Hill.
Hadley Wood Primary School opened 1965,
A fragment of a Victorian suburb: substantial tile hung houses of the 1880s, a development by Charles Jack, which failed to expand further.
Development by owner of Beech Hill Park. Charles Jack and streets around the GNR station. 1885. Buildings were erected in Crescent East by 1896.
Buildings were erected on the south side by 1896. Bungalows on the north side were the only permitted development pre-Second World War. North side developed after 1945
Lawn Tennis Club
Medieval estate, part of Enfield Chase, Great Northern Railway station built there through the delay with the leasehold on the railway. A select Victorian suburb due to the owner of Beech Hill Park, Charles Jack, who from 1882 laid out streets near the Great Northern Railway station, opened in 1885. Jack was the tenant of Beech Hill Park. This modest country estate was created in 1777 by Francis Russell, secretary to the Duchy of Lancaster, out of Enfield Chase the royal deer park administered by the Duchy and enclosed in that year5
Railway tunnel. On the former GNR main line, Hadley Wood South 384 yards
North side completed by 1914.south side developed after 1945
33 home of William Booth founder of the Salvation Army 1889-1912
Beech Hill Park development – smaller houses.