The London/Hertfordshire Border - Arkley
The London/ Barnet/Hertfordshire border continues south east and meets Galley Lane which it then follows
A tributary to the Mymshall Brook flows north east
TQ 22 98
Countryside area to the west of Barnet and east of the A1. Posh houses and scattered farms largely used as livery stables. There is also a monastery.
Post to the west Barnet Way
Post to the north Dyrham Park
Post to the east Barnet
Post to the south Arkley
Sites on the Hertfordshire side of the border
The earliest recorded spelling is ‘Galowlane’ 1475, that means ‘the lane by which a gallows stands’ in Old English. It is the old county boundary between Hertfordshire and Middlesex.
Fold farm or Fould Farm. Foulds is an old Hertfordshire name for hills, and Foulds is the Hertfordshire spelling. There are a number of small ponds in field corners in the area for livestock. Dairy farm.
Moated enclosure, with traces of brickwork. This may be the original site of the Dyrham manor house.
Homestead Farm. Livery stables
Galley Lane Farm. The farm is marked ‘Galleylane Farm’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887 but is named after the lane.
Poor Claire Monastery. The Monastery came to Arkley from Notting Hill in 1970.It has been established in London in 1857 by seven foundresses from Bruges. They remained in Notting Hill until the 1950’s when the Council required the site for housing. The property at Arkley was found, just within the London boundary and the monastery designed by Owen Fogarty was opened here in July 1970. The Chapel is divided to keep the nuns from the public and is in brick with an aluminum roof. There is a three-storey range of cells, and single-storey workrooms around five tiny courtyards. There is a central refectory
Arkley Poor Clares. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North