TQ 25 98
The London/ Barnet/Hertfordshire border going southeast crosses Monken Mead Brook and goes to the edge of a wood. It then turns north east up the western edge of the wood and continues back to Monken Mead Brook.
Monken Mead Brook flows north east towards Pymmes Brook
Green Brook rises from a number of sources in this area and flows towards Monken Mead Brook
Post to the north Hadley Wood
Post to the west Hadley Green
Post to the east Hadley Wood
Sites on the London, Barnet side of the boudary
Lined with affluent 20th houses in every style except modern. Among them a few earlier buildings: The road name is also that of a Roman road running south west from St.Albans
83-89 1878, a picturesque group of ‘Old English' estate cottages which served a mansion called Broadgates; steep gables and decorative tile-hanging.
St.Paul. small church built in 1922 and designed by A. E. Kingswell.
St Martha’s Convent school. Was Mount House which had been built by 1754 and became the convent in 1947. A handsome 18th house in its own grounds. Five-bay red brick s front with stone dressings, quoins and stringcourse, the central three bays set forward under a pediment with bull’s-eye window.
Monken Hadley C of E Primary SchoolRectory Farm. Rear of the Convent school. Derelict with dilapidated sheds and out buildings. In a historic landscape characterised by ponds and small fields. The field boundaries are long established, with hedgerow Oaks.
Grove End House modern neo-Georgian.
WhiteWebbs, Tudorbethan house with leaded light windows, locally listed.
Gates act as an entrance/exit to the Common listed
Hadley Common is marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887. Part of Enfield Chase. Local people, including the inhabitants of Hadley, were allowed to keep sheep and cows on the land, as well as take some firewood. In 1799 following enclosure Hadley residents claimed grazing rights and they were given this area of 190 acres was kept for their common. Anyone who owned more than three acres in Hadley was allowed what were called “stints”, that is they were allowed to graze cattle on the new common. Unlike other parts of Enfield Chase, Hadley Common has remained mostly wooded. Owned by the Trustees of Hadley Common,
“Warwick's Oak” stood near the village until 1941. It was supposed to be where Earl Warwick was killed during the Battle of Barnet, but this is unlikely. .
Lemmons – was called Gladsmuir House a five-bay villa of c. 1830 with Victorianized front. Red brick with stucco trim, Doric porch with fluted columns. Home of Kingsley and Martin Amis and Cecil Day Lewis died there.
Barn in the grounds with queen post trusses c18 timber-framed weatherboarded; weathervane dated 1775.
Hurst cottage, five-bay, two-storeyed, early 18th
Tudor cottage gabled
The Chase stuccoed, seven bays, early 18th . 19th alterations to the facade, windows with very broad moulded frames.
Haldey Hurst a good large house of c. 1700. Red brick, three storeys and five bays, with a three-bay addition. Curly broken pediment above the (former) central door with Roman bust. Original internal features include a panelled stair hall with three turned balusters to each step.
1-3 Hadley Hurst cottages built as stables for Hadley Hurst c18. Three bays on either side of a tall archway; three large full-height semicircular niches
Access gate to Hadley common. Fine 18th five bar gate with octagonal piers with caps and decorative ironwork
Bournewell Hill.- the name may refer to a small pond.
Disarming, common and green balance. Hadley Manor held in the Domesday Book by Geoffrey de Mandeville but later to the Benedictine monks of Walden Abbey in Essex. The 27 acre civil parish of Hadley was detached from the parish of Monken Hadley in 1894 and went into Barnet.
Drive Line of medieval Great North Road
Hadley Green Road
St.Mary the Virgin. The date 1494 appears in Arabic numerals - an unusual feature for this date - on a stone. This is convincing not only for the tower but for much of the present church. The Tower and the walls of the aisles have an attractive irregular chequer of flint and ironstone. The Tower is in three stages, with arched belfry windows and on top is a copper beacon. The other walls of flint with white Ancaster stone dressings are largely 19th , replacing brick and G.E. Street's restoration of 1848-9 included widening the aisles, removing plaster ceilings and a number of 18th galleries . Inside are capitals with angels and mould stops with a carving of a bird with wheatear, a rebus of the Goodyeres. There is a Medieval nave roof The Font is a Simple octagonal type, with quatrefoils and a; tall attenuated Gothic cover of 1952. Organ is 1860, brought from Hull in 1991. Stained glass - small scenes in an engraving style and some dated 1857 by Powell & Sons, heraldic. Some designed by Francis Stephens, painted by John Hayward, small figures on clear glass, in 20th style but sympathetic to the Waile windows. Memorial windows by Clayton & Bell, in the aisle with sentimental Victorian deer in a landscape, 1877. There are an unusual number of small brasses, reset on the walls. The oldest to Philip and Margaret Green, and Margaret Somercotes, 1442. Two effigies of ladies. W. Turnour 1500, wife and four daughters; Joan Goodyere 1504, according to a lost inscription a woman in demi-profile. T. Goodyere 1518 and wife, William Gale 1615 and family, Anne Walkedon 1572, inscription. Many monuments. The best of the larger ones is to Sir Roger Wilbraham 1616 by Nic Stone. Two busts in Alabaster and black and pink Belgian marble. Stamford and her son Henry Carew 1626, an entirely wooden wall monument with painted portrait of the son and painted ground. Elizabeth Davies 1678, wall monument with tablet framed by garlands and achievement, signed by Stanton. Richmond Moore 1796, with mourning woman broken column. Frederick Cass patron of the church 1861, brass, with one large and fours quatrefoils. Rev. Charles Cass 1896, plain tablet. Charles Temp Hicks 1918, marble, with portrait medallion. Many minor tablets with urns of every shape.
Copper beacon put up for thanks for George III's recovery from illness. Lit for coronation 1953. Armada beacon – probably put up by monks to guide travellers across Enfield Chase. Beacon is a ‘nearly unique’ feature. Street restoration 1848. Renewed in 1779, a great rarity. The Beauties of England suggested it could be ‘nearly a unique vestige of the manners of the Middle Ages'
Churchyard with many chest tombs, also some wood
Cottages two pretty Gothic cottages of 1822, built as almshouses, flint-faced, with quatrefoil windows and a tall blind arch. Part of a group united as Paggits's Ecclesiastical Charity in 1958.
Gatehouse little stuccoed built for the parish clerk, early c19 with later Gothic windows.
Rectory, with Tudor dripstones built 1824, the additions in a more solid domestic Gothic, of 1846 by Street, his first secular work.
15 Monkenhurst 1881. Home of Spike Milligan who saved it from being demolished. Romantic gothic. Glass from Northumberland house, Charing Cross. 1880, with tower over the entrance, big Gothic staircase window and half-hipped roof. Enlarged 1915
Sites on the Hertfordshire of the boundary
Monken Mead Brook
Was probably the marshy area mentioned in the Battle of Barnet.