The London Hertfordshire border - Hadley Green
The London/ Barnet/Hertfordshire border going north east crosses St.Albans Road and a path and goes north round the golf club house to Taylors Lane where it turns north, east again, north again
The London/ Barnet/Hertfordshire border runs east from Great North Road and then turns south and then south east towards Monken Mead Brook.
Monken Mead Brook rises in this area flowing north east towards Pymmes Brook
A tributary to Mymshall Brook rises in this area and flows northwards
Post to the north Kitts End
Post to the east Monken Hadley
Post to the west Barnet
Sites on the London, Barnet, side of the border
Water and Gas Pressure Tower for the East Barnet Water Company. Locally Listed. Now housing.
1 early 18th plum brick; Grade II listed Old tiled roof. Tiled lean-to porch.
2, Locally Listed White-rendered, Regency style house with sash-windows, decorative moulding and a carved doorcase.
3 Grade II Probably 18th . Small, timber framed house. Tiled roof. Stuccoed.
4-18 Victorian terraces
5-9, Gothic Place. 18th, timber-framed houses Victorian front. Fretted barge boarded gables and pretty timber Gothic veranda; Grade II listed. Weatherboard rear.
11 Grade II listed 18th. Timber-framed. Roughcast first storey
15 Grade II listed 18th. Timber-framed. Roughcast first storey.
17 Grade II listed 18th, L-shaped, timber-framed house. Tile roof. White painted weatherboarding.
21 small, attractive cottage
23, small, attractive cottage.
27 Georgian, stuccoed tiled roof. Two storey. Sashes with glazing bars.
31 Georgian, stuccoed,
29 Thorndon Friars, Grade II listed Early 18th, Brown brick with tiled roof and wood eaves cornice. Wood doorcase. Original ‘fire mark’ on front wall. Built shortly before 1740 on land belonging to the Chandlers. .
39 Stoberry Lodge, c1830 stucco villa, Grade II listed slate roof
41- 43, Hadley Bourne, It was formerly Dury House and seems to have been built soon after an older property was sold in 1725 to Percival Chandler, a London fishmonger. It was once the home of Colonel Alexander Drury
House In 1625 stood on or near the site of Hadley Bourne and was replaced by it.
Hadley Green is marked on the 1887 map and is referred to in the surname of William atte Grene -i.e. 'living at the green' in 1345. Part of Enfield Chase. The houses are generally posh. There is very little to remind one of the 21st apart from a discreet increase of security. It seems to signify the end of urban London. Weather-boarded cottages, handsome red-tiled houses with porticoed doorways and wisteria-covered fronts, little lakes protected by white palings, and trees in its meadows. It is 24 acres and was known by at least 1345. In the 17th 18th a whipping post, a cucking stool and stocks stood here but were burnt down in 1935 during celebrations for the jubilee of King George V. The green became public open space in 1818 after an attempts at enclosure
Battle of Barnet, The Green is where the Earl of Warwick camped before the Battle in 1471 intending to go down and fight in the town. .
Tollgate to Hadley Common
Pub advertising hot vittles 'No horse riding'
Manor House built by Sir William Stamford mid of the 16th.
Manor House originally 18th building where William Makepeace Thackeray lived. Bombed and destroyed in 1944
Elms destroyed by bomb 1944. Erected in 1770 by John Tate, a Barnet builder, on land leased from Thomas Lewis, builder,
Mercers, destroyed by bomb 1944
Grange House built soon after 1764 by John Horton, a sugar refiner, on the site of the Rose and Crown inn
Hadley cottage used as a location in the avengers
Four detached Neo-Georgian houses follow, replacements for bomb damage.
Drinking fountain late 19th century pink granite.
Joslin's PondOssulton House 1764 by John Horton. Three bays, red brick, with Gibbs surround to the arched door and brick stringcourses. Horton was a sugar dealer and it was built, on the site of the Rose and Crown inn once owned by the Earl of Tankerville, who used it as a family home when visiting London from his estates in Northumberland.
The Grove, used as a location in The Saint
Hadley House. Standing on the site of a medieval manor house. It was the manor house. Built 1760. Doorway with continuous fanlight and side lights. Extensive grounds,
Manor Cottage. Home of Birt Acres the film pioneer, in the 1890s. One of the earliest films made in the world in 1895 records a hay cart crossing Hadley Green.
Hadley Brewery. Thus was at the top corner of Hadley Green 1780 – 1969 and demolished in 1976. It is thought it might have begun operations around 1700, but in the later part of the 18th the brewers were. Robert and William Thorp. It was run by a Mr. Salisbury in the 1850s, who sold it to W. T. Healey in 1861, who rebuilt it. James Harris Brown bought it in 1887, and again rebuilt it. It had its own artesian well, and in 1937 brewed 1500 barrels using east European hops. In 1938 it was sold to Fremlins and the site used as a depot. The 18th century buildings were burnt down in 1969 and after a takeover by Whitbread it was closed. They had brewed Hadley Stout, Hadley Special Pale Ale, Dinner Ale, and Nourishing Stout. T
Stables to Hadley House. Half H-shaped, with central gateway with clock turret.
Fairholt. Built 1750 three-storey, stuccoed.
Monkenholt. Stuccoed with a bow front. Built soon after 1767 By Thomas Lewis on land leased from the lord of the manor, John Pinney
Holly Bush House. Buiklt.1790 of yellow brick, with a fanlight. An earlier section has been reroofed and is red brick with blue headers. Thomas Lewis may have built it.
Wilbraham Almshouses. The charity dates from 1612 and is ‘for 6 decayed housekeepers’ founded by Sir Roger Wilbraham. It consists of six one-storey red brick cottages Extended at the back in 1815. Wilbraham He was the Solicitor General in Ireland for Queen Elizabeth I and had homes in both Clerkenwell and Monken Hadley. His family crest is displayed on the almshouse wall and the in St. Mary's Church is a memorial tablet to him, his wife and children.
Livingstone cottage. The residence, 1857-8, of Dr. David Livingstone, who wrote Missionary Travels and Researches in South Africa there. Later residents included James Agate, the dramatic critic.
Monken Cottage. Mid-18th building of urban appearance.
Grandon. Home of Frances "Fanny" Trollope. The house was built in 1770 and it carries a blue plaque to commemorate Fanny. She was born in 1780 and brought up a family of six. One of these, Anthony Trollope, was later to be a successful novelist. Fanny herself began to write as a response to the family financial problems
Hadley Green Road
Beacon House. Timber framed with brick front, Built 17th and early 18th. Seems to contain parts of the building conveyed by Thomas Fletcher to the parish in 1616; it was enlarged and refronted in the 18th, when it belonged to the Shewell family.
Cedars. Modern house on the site of The Priory
Green View. Attractive white stucco Georgian house.
Grove House. Late 18th very thoroughly Neo-Georgianised by A Welch
Hadley Grove. Lying well back from the road a large late-18th house rebuilt in the early 20th century in the neo-Georgian manner, to the designs of H. A. Welch.
Hadley Lodge, by the entrance to Hadley Common, is an 18th stuccoed house incorporating some earlier features, with a slate roof and a porch supported on columns.
Little Pipers. On the site of the priory
The Priory. Demolished after 1953. This was a 16th building, which was given an elaborate Gothic front in 1800. It belonged to the Revd. David Garrow,
White Lodge. Stucco with ornate door case.
Hadley Highstone - Great North Road
Hadley High Stone. On the central green lawn, where the road divides is the Barnet Pillar as it is described in the road books. It says “on Easter Day, 14 April 1470 was fought the battle of Barnet”. It was erected in 1741 by Sir Jeremy Sambrook of North Mimms, and thought to be the spot where the Earl of Warwick died in the Battle of Barnet, - Warwick the Kingmaker. There is no evidence that this is where it was and the pillar was actually moved in 1840 and both positions are a guess. It is the highest point on the Great North Road. S Warwick was overtaken and killed as he walked to his horse in Wrotham Wood after the battle.
18 King William IV. 17th picturesque timber-framed pub. Two gables to the road with decorative 19th bargeboards, one rendered, one weather boarded. Closed and turned into a restaurant
Old Fold Lane
The area is on a fold of sand and gravel
Old Fold Manor House. Georgian. Five-bay, two-storey Georgian, c. 1750, stuccoed. Originally built by a family of goldsmiths called Frowyk, in the 13th one of whom, Henry Frowyk, was Lord Mayor of London in the 15th
Moat remains to the west.18th dug by Fowke – or part of the 13th manor house,
Old Fold Manor Golf Club. Two houses of c. 1820, two-storeyed, with rounded full-height bays, one with doorway with fanlight Adapted in the early 20th by W. Charles Waymouth as clubhouse.
Old Fold Golf Course owned by Middlesex County Council. The 6th fairway, 5th green and 2nd tee are known as Sunset Fields, because of the evening skies. In front of the 13th tee is a pond on the dogleg,
Footpath on remains of the battlefield runs alongside the ancient hedge behind which the Earl of Oxford's division was possibly drawn up. Hedgerow with bank and ditch runs north-westwards across the golf course and a survey suggested it is ancient
Mill here in the 18th and gave its name to the Windmill Tavern further on
‘Hadlegh’ 1248, ‘Hadle’, ‘Hedle 1291, ‘Monken Hadley’ 1489, ‘Munkyn Hadley’ 1553, that is 'clearing where heather grows, heath clearing', from Old English ‘hxth’ and ‘leah’. Affix is Middle English ‘monken –‘'of the monks', referring to early possession of the manor by the Benedictine monks of Walden Abbey in Essex. A semi-rural suburb originally in Middlesex and part of East Barnet District in Hertfordshire between 1895 and 1965.
Maw Works 1950s
New road built by Telford 1838. Before the 1820s the branch of the road which goes off Hadley Green High Street to South Mimms and St Albans did not exist - the coaches has to go to Barnet Pillar before branching off. This was the Holyhead Road built by Telford. On 5 June 1820 Thomas Telford presented his report for improving the road between London and Holyhead to the House of Commons. On this section between Barnet and South Mims he said “At present the whole is composed of a series of angular turnings and unnecessary hills, to an extent which renders it surprising how such glaring imperfections have been so long suffered to exist, when a sufficiently direct line can be obtained with no inclination more than 1 in 30”. As the route of the mails to both Edinburgh and Glasgow, it had clearly received more attention, having been brought to the standard of a Great Road, as the term was understood in the early 19th
Christ Church. Attractive. built in 1845, as a daughter Church of St Giles, South Mimms, to serve the expanding population of Barnet.. It became a parish church in 1853. built to a design of Sir Gilbert Scott, and enlarged in 1863. A gallery was added for orphans of the Crimean War. The first Vicar was Revd. William Pennefather. The Church Patronage Society has been patron since 1919 and their trustees appoint the Vicar
Pennefather Hall. The church hall, pretty
Shire Golf Club – site of dummy airfield in the Second World War
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Clunn. London Marches On
Field. London Place Names
London Borough of Barnet. Web site
London Transport. Country Walks
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Walford. Village London
Webster. Great North Road ,
Whitelaw. Hidden Hertfordshire,