The London/Hertfordshire border - Pinner Wood
The London/Harrow/Hertfordshire boundary goes along the southern edge of Nanscot Wood and then turns slightly north east along the northern edge of some woodland.
Post to the west Pinner Wood
Post to the north South Oxhey
Post to the south Pinner
Sites on the Hertfordshire, Three Rivers side of the border
Sites on the London, Harrow side of the border
Pinner Golf Course
William Tooke gave 185 acres to his son in 1844 much of which is under the golf course.
Grimsdyke – there is a small break in Grimsdyke to allow for a small tributary of the Pinn.
Most of the wooded slopes of Pinner Hill are now covered by private estates of posh inter-war houses, Further down the hill is the largest area of Harrow Council housing from between the wars - 285 houses
Chalk mine. On land used for a sub station by the electricity board. Filled in during building in the 1930s. Surveyed in 1932 before the shaft was filled with clay. The shaft is located under the path inside the EEB sub-station. The shaft was filled in during the construction of the Pinnerwood Park estate in the late 1933s. The infill is still compacting and currently the tops of brick lining can be seen through subsidence. The shaft was 110ft deep in 1932. It was lined with 10" bricks and was thought to be some 200 years old.
Pond Cottage Locally listed
Pinner Wood House. Early 18th home of Edward Bulwer Lytton in the 1830s. A main range with a truncated cross-wing; the c17 timber frame is visible in the gable end and it was originally built by a freeholder built about 1600 by the Leigh family
Pinner Wood tower. Eighteenth century. Rebuilt in 1610, was called in 763 to the Abbey of St.Alban's
Pinner Wood Cottage with pretty c 19 bargeboards, the date 1867, and A.W. Tooke's initials. The first such cottage was established as a farm in the 1640s on what was left of Pinner Wood.
Pinner Wood Farm. Moated. This was a Tooke property and is now a Victorian building brick, with moulded bargeboards and a veranda on either side of the entrance. It was a dairy farm until 1961 and then became a stud farm
Pinner Hill Farm.
Before the 19th century the site of Pinner Hill Farm was part of Pinner Common. After the Enclosure Award of 1803-17 it was awarded to Robert Tubbs. Ownership later passed to John Baker Sellon, owner of Pinner Hill House, and he sold the whole estate to Albert Pell in 1821. He erected two cottages and a 'model' farm just down the hill from his mansion. The main buildings were arranged around a large rectangular yard which is now divided roughly into two. There are also cowsheds, pigsties and barns, stables and a cart-shed. There is a clock tower, with a ground floor tack room, a first floor hay loft and a second floor dovecote. The original farm buildings were those put up by Albert Pell when he erected two cottages, as part of the development of a 'model' farm just down the hill from his mansion. The main buildings are arranged around a large rectangular yard which is now divided roughly into two. The farmhouse occupies a central position on the north side of this. There are other outbuildings probably cowsheds, pigsties and general barns. The range continues with stables and a cart-shed and a clock tower, of three storeys, the ground was possibly a tack room, the first floor a hay loft and the second a dovecote. The tower has a crest and the date 1862. . Pell's son sold the whole estate in 1844 to William Tooke, for his son Arthur.
The Horse Circle behind the farmhouse is a paved circle from a former horse gin. It has eleven rings of red granite setts. It is about 25' from the mine shaft and could have been used for pumping the mine.
Stone blocks. There were once a large number of blocks of granite. These were sleeper blocks from the London & Birmingham Railway since there were chair holes on the lower surface.
The Chalk Mine. In the yard there is a shaft capped with a brick dome .This is the Chalk Pit which, together with a lime kiln, was said to produce about £3 a week in 1844. The shaft was sunk through the Woolwich and Reading beds for 112' to the galleries. The mine was worked by the pillar and stall method with two main galleries about 80' long.
Dam. Up the hill 300 yards from the farm is an earth dam enclosing a rectangular reservoir fed by two springs. It was built between 1844 and 1864 and was connected by a pipe to the farm.
Slab There is a slab of carboniferous limestone lying beside the road. It is semicircular about 5' 4" 'diameter' and 2' 10" 'radius'. It seems to have been broken in two and one half is missing. The stone has a very smooth edge 12" wide, the total thickness being about 16". It is not a millstone, but was it could have been an edge-runner?
Wrought iron tank. This is circular in plan 5' in diameter and 2' 6" deep and made of small wrought iron plates.
Lodge - a rural strip remains, introduced by a little 19th lodge at the end of the road.