The London/Kent boundary - Swanley and the Motorway
TQ 50 69 A suburban area on the outskirts of Swanley
The boundary continues down a path parallel to and to the east of the Swanley Bypass, skirting the end of Lynden Way. It continues over a school playing field, then skirting the ends of Wood End, Ellis Court and Apple Orchard it crosses the railway and the Bypass at the same point, where there is a subway and continues on the path alongside a football ground.
Post to the north Swanley
Post to the south Crockenhill
On the boundary
Swanley Bypass 1926-27 Ruxley to Wrotham KCC 1926 started in 1964 to Mway standards
On the London, Bexley side of the boundary
Bournewood sand and gravel quarry with its own slip road off the motorway
Windmill Hill Wood
On the Kent, Sevenoaks side of the boundary
Swanley Station 1862. Between Eynsford and also Farningham Road and St.Mary Cray. Opened as ‘Sevenoaks Junction’. 1871 name changed to ‘Swanley Junction’. Town grew up round the station rather than Swanley village.
New housing with office block in the middle of it
material has been collected over many years and from many sources