Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding - Colliers Hatch
The tributary flows south east
Rural area along the Epping Road and the hamlet of Colliers Hatch
Post to the south Mole Trap
Colliers Hatch Moat House. 17th house with later alterations, timber framed and plastered with exposed timber frame. It has a moat round it.
Roman villas possibly found here. Roman pottery and tile has been visible in the topsoil, and there have been a number of finds – coins, brooches, and copper alloy objects.
Ongar Park Wood
This is made up of three bits of blocks of woodland and a hedge. Much of this is the remnants of a wood that was grubbed up in 1950 and became farmland. It is part of the Birching Coppice which was part Ongar Great Park. It includes hornbeam and hazel, oak and silver birch coppice. There is a damp pond depression in a corner of the wood. The hedge forms the old boundary of Ongar Park Wood and includes old hornbeam coppice, field maple, oak, hazel, dogwood, hawthorn, and blackthorn. The central woodland has a ditch on two sides and a stream on another edge.
British History online. Essex
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex