Thames Tributary Cripsey Brook - Greensted Green
A tributary to the brook rises in this area and flows south eastwards
Post to the north Blake Hall Road
Post to the east Greensted
Post to the south Toot Hill Road
Blake Hall Road
Blake Hall Station. Opened in April 1865 by the Great Eastern Railway as part of an agreement with local landowners. In 1949 it became part of the Central Line using steam locomotives – and thus a ‘tube’ station. It was electrified in 1957 and closed in 1981 after the withdrawal of a local authority subsidy. It is said to have been the least used station in London and it is in a very rural area with only scattered cottages in country lanes - the hamlet of Blake Hall itself is two miles away. Since 1994 the line has been owned by Epping Ongar Heritage Railway
The Station master‘s house now a private house called ‘Blake Hall Station’ and it is on the Down side. It was built-in 1865/66 in red brick built. Behind it is the ticket office in matching brick with a central door and windows to right and left
Station Bridge house. Large industrial unit on what could be the site of the goods yard on the up side of the line.
The goods yard was originally the busiest part of the station, taking produce into London. It was closed in 1966
The Green itself was in the area between Greensted Road and Toot Hill Road and which was enclosed in the late 19th. Much of it was marshy
Pond. This was created in a marshy area of the old Green in the late 20th and is used for fishing.
Greensted House. 18th brick house with 19th alterations. Barn and cart shed built in the 18th which are timber framed and weather boarded. Red brick 18th stables with two doors.
This was Pinings or Pinions Lane
Blackstock & Tudor Cottage. Two houses made into one - a 19th house built onto a 16th, maybe 14th, house. The older part is timber framed and weather boarded. Inside is an original chimney with braced timbers. On it is a plaque saying "On their return from transportation The Tolpuddle Martyrs, George Loveless, James Loveless and James Brine lived here from 1838 to 1844" given by the Agricultural and Allied Workers Union in 1976. After the Martyrs return to England well-wishers fund raised to buy property for them to farm here in Essex. Living here they organised local Chartist associations.
Toot Hill Road
Little Thorbans. 16th house Timber framed and plastered – ‘1564’ is cut into a timber in the roof.