River Colne. North Mymms Park
The Colne Rises in this area and flows north westwards
Post to the south Walsingham Wood
Post to the west Coursers Farm
North Mymms Park
This estate is the original Manor of North Mymms from which the smaller manors were separated. It was bought by Simon Swanlond, a London merchant in 1316. It was sold again in 1428 and thus passed into the Coningsby family who sold it in 1658. It passed to the Duke of Leeds and then from 1799 to a variety of owners until it was sol by the Burns family in 1979 to a corporate owner. Glaxo acquired it in 1992 and it is used as their corporate training centre.
North Mymms House. This is an Elizabethan house built for Ralph Coningsby in 1599 on an H plan in brick. By the 1980s it was owned by Courage and was in a state of great disrepair. As a result of major damage some 16th wall paintings were discovered.
Courtyards and gardens. Extensions of 1893 were undertaken for the Burns family. There is a loggia with an interior with mosaic patterning, carved marble frieze, an arcade of Corinthian pilasters and a bronze door. The courtyard walls have corner gazebos and wrought iron double gates and railings. There are 18th garden walls, and a semi-circular 'ha ha' with red brick walling of the same date. Other extensions of the 1890s installed by the Burns family were removed in 1947.
Three walled gardens of the 18th and 19th were laid out by William Robinson who began work here in 1895 with the rose garden and the Italian garden. He believed that the garden should surround the house. Work was also undertaken by arts and craft pioneer Ernest George for the Burns family and he laid out a series of garden enclosures around the house in the style of the original building
Stable block. This is now a garage. It was built in the 19th, probably in 1893 4 by Ernest George. It is in red brick in a Jacobean style. There is a central gateway, a clock tower and tall chimney stacks with relief panels. Central cast iron gates with brick piers.
Ice House. This is an 18th building later restored. It is a half-sunken domed chamber, with walling in flint, brick and rubble to look like a grotto.
Water tower. This doubled as a dovecote.
Parkland – this remains in the ownership of the Burns family
Walsingham Wood. This is a County wildlife site and semi ancient woodland
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Brookman’s Park Newsletter. Web site.
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site