Mymshall Brook - Waterend
The Mymshall Brook flows northwards, another section of if flows southwards and then they both disappear.
Post to the north Welham Green
Post to the east Bradmore Green
Post to the south Waterend Green
Railway sidings. These were situated south of the junction with Station Road and known as "Hawkshead Siding. Coal was transhipped here.
Brick Kiln Wood, the name implies that this was an industrial site,
Sheepshead Hall. This was on the north side of Brick Kiln wood and remained there until the 1950s
Tank Trap by the Station Road Junction – these are now moss covered concrete cones. Put here as part of the "stop-line" during the Second World War
Potterells lake with a weir. A bog is formed by the damming of the stream.
Potterells Medical Centre. This was the gate house for Potterells Manor house.
Potterells was the home of the Coningsby family in 1658 and remained in the family until 1753. The house was then extended and cased as a grab mansion by the Casamajor family. The house was again remodelled in 1908. It was still in occupation as a house in 1933 but had passed through several owners and fallen into the hands of property developers. It was requisitioned as a store in the Second World War and then sold in 1965. It was left unoccupied while its upper floors collapsed under the weight of the furniture and lead was then stolen from the roof. It thus becoming derelict and was demolished in the mid 1990s. The site is niw private housin with some aspects of the old stable roofs.
Stables – in the Second World War these were converted for the manufacture of small arms and precision instruments.
Watersplash Cottage. This was once also known as where the Now the brook runs under the road
St Thomas Catholic church
North Mymms Youth and Community Centre
Colne Cottage. House from the 18th with a timber frame and Roughcast walls
Old Maypole, Pub which claims to date from 1529 but the building appears to be later. In 1871 the licensee’s brother was a blacksmith in an adjoining building,
Woodman. This claims to have been built in 1664 and it may have been known as The Tollgate in the 18th. A Benskin House
National school. A school for girls and infants was opened in 1847. It was founded by Caroline Casamajor plus an endowment for salaries and upkeep. It was managed by the Vicar and the vestry but the style of education changed after the 1902 Education Act. It was closed in 1960 converted to housing and demolished as part of the works for the A1
Bridge over the Mymmshall Brook. When the rain is heavy it overflows under Swanland Road and the A1 and flows eventually into the River Colne
Swallow Holes. There are two depressions where the ground seems to have fallen away and then the stream flows into a large depression in the ground and disappears into a small hole within the depression. Water End is on the edge of the chalk and the stream makes its way to the Lea Valley. It reappears at Chadwell Spring near Ware – the original source of the New River. These are permanent swallow holes and. water flows continuously into them. The whole site has more than 15 swallow holes, where two streams draining areas of the London Clay and Woolwich/Reading bed. Below the surface is the largest known enclosed karstic drainage system in England
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Brookman’s Park. Newsletter. Web site.
Chelsea Speleological Society Newsletter
Woodman. Web site.