Ellenbrook Nast Hyde
Ellenbrook flows south eastwards and then south westwards
Post to the north Hatfield Aerodrome
Post to the east University of Hertfordshire
Post to the south Sleapshyde
Post to the west Smallford
This opened in 1985 as part of National Cycle Route no. 61 between Hatfield and St. Albans along the disused railway line. It is also a 'wildlife corridor'
Nast Hyde Halt, February 1910. Built by the Great Northern Railway. The line has been built in the 1860s by the Hatfield and St. Albans Railway with GNR support. Nast Hyde Halt was opened in 1910 to serve a new residential area; local folklore also says that it was opened at the instigation of one local householder Oliver Bury who used the line to commute to Kings Cross. Closed 1951. The overgrown station remains alongside the Alban Way
St. Albans Road
Popefield Farm. The farm consists of a three storey 16th oak framed farmhouse, an oak and elm 16th barn, cow shed, granary and a shed and had been part of the estate taken over by de Havilland. It has been converted to housing which was used for British Aerospace staff. One of these was the father of Tim Rice, who wrote some of Jesus Christ Superstar there,
Wilkins Green Lane
Nast Hyde Farm. Weather boarded 17th barns and stables
Forge Cottage. Timber framed House which was once a forge built in the 17th or 18th. It is Weather boarded with a plastered downstairs.
Great Nast Hyde House. This was part of the St Alban’s Abbey estate – the name ‘Nast’ may be a version of ‘East’. The red brick house dates from the late 16th and there are design features in common with other local great houses. . A turret alongside its central chimneystack may once have had a beacon to guide travellers across Colney Heath by night. It has an oak staircase carved from the starboard companionway and bridge deck of a 16th ship. The original owners were the Oxton family who made their money in the malting trade. The house was owned in the 20th by de Havilland who used it for corporate hospitality – and where Geoffrey de Havilland’s room is preserved - and it has been renovated since.
Torilla. Built in 1934 by F.R.S.Yorke. Commissioned by Christabel Burton for her daughter Barbara Macdonald. Concrete construction painted pink derived from a le Corbusier design. Nearly demolished in 1993 but now listed.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Disused Stations Web Site
Hertfordshire Genealogy. Web site
London Railway Record
Pevsner and Cherry. Hertfordshire
Welwyn and Hatfield council. Web site