Stream rises in this area and flows southwards
Post to the east Hatfield Aerodrome
Post to the south Smallford
Hatfield plant and quarry. CEMEX, has been mining
land originally owned by de Havillands since 1969. A conveyor belt runs across country
Site. St Albans Radio Station was a point to point radio link run by the Post
Office. It was opened in 1926 and it was probably here that Wilkins noted interference
by aircraft of radio signals in 1932 which led to development of radar for that
purpose. It was used in the Second World War as a listening station feeding
coded messages to Bletchley Park for decryption. It was the first station to
intercept German radio teleprinter transmissions which were used for the most
secret messages. It was later used as a GPO/BT testing ground and closed in the
1960s. It is at present awaiting redevelopment.
Albans Council. Web site.
Radar origins world wide