Thames Tributary Mardyke - Great Warley
The boundary runs north east to the west of Hole Farm Lane and then turns sharp east to the boundary of a wood and turns south to follow the boundary.
Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south east
Post to the west Great Warley
Post to the north Warley Road
Post to the south Parker's Shaw
Post to the east Warley Gap
Great Warley Street
Village green with war memorial
Chestnut Tree cottage – with pargetted tree on the wall
1 dairy and laundry
2 Two Door Cottage. 13th House - timber-framed, and
colour washed, it has had additions through succeeding centuries. It has several rare medieval features and also shows the evolution of a domestic building.
3 Warley Green Cottage 16th with later additions. Timber-framed. Part of one building with 4.
4 Beam Cottage. 16th with later additions. Timber-framed. Inside timber framing made up of a hall and cross-wing.
Abbey metal works. Wrought iron showrooms and includes a farrier.
De Rougemont Manor Hotel. This was originally Goldings which belonged to Evelyn Heseltine in 1876, who set up a manorial estate here. It has been renamed for Major General Cecil de Rougemont whose wife was the daughter of Evelyn Heseltine who came to Great Warley in 1875. Heseltine was a wealthy stockbroker, who funded the local church and built a local empire of farms. In the 1880s he added cottages, stables, dairy, and alterations and additions to the main house in a style that combined red brick, darkened half-timbering, and pargetting in a theatrical style designed by Ralph Nevill. After his death his house passed his daughter and on her death it became the New World Country Club, and later became the New World Hotel opened by a Ian Hilton, a Romford market trader who later renamed it De Rougemont Manor,
Wallets. 16th house said be named as a result of Canterbury pilgrims leaving money here before tackling the route across the marshes to the river but actually means that it is sited near a crossroads. It is a timber-framed, H-plan hall house, with a rear stair tower and various later additions. Inside is a hall and back-to-back fireplaces. Woodwork has carpenters’ marks and candle/rush-light burn marks. The house shows typical house modifications of the late 16th
St.Mary the Virgin Church. Built 1902-4 by C Harrison Townsend; with interior decoration and fittings by W Reynolds Stephens in Art Nouveau style. Outside is rough cast with limestone dressings, and there is a belfry tower with shingled spire. Rainwater down pipes have leaf decorated heads. Inside has been described as It is described as having `’an orgy of the English Arts and Crafts variety of the International Art-Nouveau' – for instance - the timber roof, has ribs decorated with embossed rose trees in aluminium leaf. Memorial windows replace glass destroyed in the Second World War. There are pendant lights with galvanised iron frames and enamel panels, flower bud metal shades and glass bead finials – lighting was electric supplied by a special generator, with a transformer in the vestry lobby. The font is white marble, with bronze angels and the cover in bronze with mother-of-pearl inlay. The pulpit is copper sheet with mother-of-pearl inlay panels and the lectern is similar. The church was paid for by Evelyn Heseltine and dedicated to his dead brother.
Lych gate to the church. Built by C Harrison Townsend. It is Oak with a tiled roof. The barge boards are carved with leaves and fruit and a plaque notes in 1903 in reign of King Edward VII. The gate, itself is oak with a serpentine top and heavy hinges with exaggerated studs
Tooks Farm Fairstead. House by J.L Pearson. Dated on the rain water head as 1889. In red brick with stone dressings and made up of 4 wings of ‘contrived irregularity'. Inside is lots of wood and plasterwork much in 17th style with elaborate plaster ceilings and frieze decoration .This was home to the local rector one of whom built a wooden church in the grounds. He left it to this parish of Baildon in Yorkshire where it was taken and re-erected.
Warley Elms. House built about 1800 on the site of an earlier house. It is f in yellow brick with stuccoed front plus a 20th billiard room. Inside is a flying stair with a mahogany handrail and iron balusters.
Elms Cottage built as a generator house to supply the 100 volt electricity for the church.
Hole Farm Lane
Thatcher’s Arms. 17th pub timber-framed. Inside some 17th features.
The Squirrels Nursing Home. Which was previously Coombe Lodge built for Edward Ind. 19th house in yellow brick. The frontage has a stucco Tuscan porch with columns and inside is a central hall with columns, panelled beams and plaster ceiling decoration.