Thames Tributary Carter’s Brook - Noak Hill
Thames Tributary Carter’s Brook
The Brook rises in this area and flows south towards the River Ingrebourne
Post to the east Dagnam Park
Post to the south Harold Hill Hilldene
Spice Pit Farm
Spice Pit Wood
Cummings Hall Lane
Lakeview Park - new housing
The name of Noak Hill is probably derived from oak trees but it might also be to do with a family name
The Neave family were the local lords of the manor from the early 19th when it was acquired by Richard Neave, a City merchant.
Noak Hill Road
Romford Common lay around the road south of the Bear Inn and to the north was Noak Hill Common. Noak Hill Road was laid following the enclosure of the commons in the early 19th. Roman tiles were found in this area near the Bear Inn.
Bear Inn was previously The Goat House but renamed in 1715 also called the ‘Brown Bear’. Bought by Neave. In the 1960s there was a zoo there said to be the largest outside London Zoo and which has a ‘sad looking’ bear.
Widdrington Farm. Called 'Wolves' and sold in the early 19th. Was amalgamated with 'Joys' farm and was known as that in the late l870s it was renamed Widdrington Farm. It stands on a medieval site and the farm buildings include a timber framed cross wing building from the late 17th later encased in brick and re-roofed. In 1558, a tile kiln is mentioned here and digs at Noak Hill revealed late 12th and early 13th pottery, including jug handles. If a kiln was here it was probably producing pottery for Hornchurch Priory who owned the manor 1243- 1391.