Thames Tributary Dead River - West Molesey
Dead River goes eastwards to the River Mole
Post to the north West Molesey
Post to the east Molesey
Built by the Southwark & Vauxhall Water Co. and the Metropolitan Water Board in 1898. It opened in 1907 covering 74 acres. Building had involved 1 ½ m cubic yards excavated and 2,000,000 cut yards of puddle and 75,000 cut yards of Portland cement. It was called ‘Bessborough‘after Lord Bessborough, one of the Company Directors. It was designed by J.W.Restler Deputy Chief Engineer MWB and former Engineer of the Southwark and Vauxhall Company.
Queen Elizabeth II reservoir.
The reservoir was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1935, but work did not begin until 1957 because of the Second World War. It was filled in 1962. It holds 4,300 mgalls and covered 317 acres. It is eventually planned to turn it into part of a wildlife area.
Coal duty post near the junction with Pool Road
Ivy Lodge. This was south of the junction with Tonbridge Road. Built in the 1850s and demolished in the 1930s
Sutton Lodge. This was on the north side of the road on a site now under the Bessborough Reservoir.
Monks Pool also called The Lodge, and Moulsey Villa, on a site used before 18th. Home of distiller Jenkin Jones in the 1780s, the later Sir Stephen Shairp, ambassador to Russia and father in law of Captain Marryatt, and then home of Dr John Cockle. The house was subsequently a girls school,
Housing on the site of Rose Cottages, themselves the service buildings to Monks Pool.
Coal post on boundary of Walton and West Molesey at the junction with Molesey Avenue and Molesey Avenue
West Molesey Industrial Estate
Known locally as ‘Little Pittsburgh’