Thames Tributary Mardyke - East Horndon
Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south East Horndon
Village with church and hall isolated above the Southend Arterial
Post to the west Thorndon
Post to the north Brentwood Road
Post to the south West Horndon
East Horndon church, on a little knoll. It is squat with two storeys. The chancel and south transept are 15th on the site of a thirteenth-century church; and the south chapel, porch and tower, were added in the 16th. Inside, are monuments to the Tyrells of Heron Hall, notably one dated 1442 to Alice Tyrell in an elaborately canopied niche, flanked by her children with their names on scrolls. The Tyrell family were responsible for the 15th rebuilding of the Norman church. There is a monument by Nollekens, dated 1776. It was taken into the care of the Redundant Churches Fund in 1972.
Southend Arterial Road
Crossing of the A128 with the A127 collection of refreshment places
Telephone Exchange now a house
The Halfway House which was a large pub. This is now a Travel Lodge and Little Chef. As the Halfway House it was halfway between Southend and London and a popular stop for beanos.
Derelict nightclub – called Twilights among other things
Hollow Bottom Shaw
Thorndon Country Park
Octagon Plantation. Designed by Capability Brown in 1733 for Lord Petrie
East Horndon Hall. The centre for the old manor of Abbots – one of the two manors which covered then area. 16th house originally timber-framed, but now entirely red brick. Inside an original large room on the ground floor of exceptional height, with beams and a wide wood-burning hearth.There is said to be a tunnel from the Hall to the church across the present Southend Road
East Horndon Hall Business Park. Largely heavy haulage.
British History Online. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex