Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Brook Street
The Ingrebourne flows south west down the A12
The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Harold Wood Station
TQ 57652 92827
Small village and subsequent developments on the main roads into and bypassing Brentwood
Post to the north South Weald
Post to the west Harold Park
Post to the south Boyles Court
Post to the east Warley Hospital
A12 Brentwood Bypass
This was a hamlet and manor of 150 acres alongside the brook and the Roman Road. The estate was managed from the house. The first owner was Sir William de Bruyn succeeded by his later family members and later the Tyrrells and Harlestons and by the 15th Ropers
The road is on the line of the Roman Road to Colchester
17-21 House now divided into 3 cottages. Early 16th Timber-framed, rendered and colour washed, appears to be a four-bayed house with an open hall
Holiday Inn Nags Head. 18th building which had this name in 1777
Stone House, built 1891 of random brick, stone, and flint, using some material removed from Brentwood church when it was rebuilt in 1883
The Bull. Public house. Built 1600, and Timber-framed and plastered.
Mascalls. Rebuilt early 19th house with many additions and alterations. Brick, rendered and colour-washed. Inside there is a spiral stair in stair tower for the servants.
Stable block. From the early 19th in red brick,
Marygreen Manor Hotel. There have been houses on this site since 13th at first surrounded by a moat. In the 15th it was improved by Henry Roper and renamed The Place. At the dissolution it as passed to the Duchy of Lancaster. By the mid 16th it was renamed Brook Hall and it became the Manor of Mary Green after a new bride and the Wright family were to live here for the next 200 years and it became known as Moat House. In the Second World War, the house was used by the Army and in 1968 became a hotel
101 Golden Fleece. Parts of the building date from the 13th and it was recorded as an inn in 1745. It was originally a timber-framed house but there have been many centuries of additions and alterations. Inside the timber structure is exposed. It has been suggested that the four -bay open hall was built when the house was renovated by Waltham Abbey so they could use it as a court house for their local estate.
British History Online. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site