Thames Tributary Mar Dyke - North Stifford
The Mar Dyke flows westwards
Post to the west Stifford
Once known as Stifford Street.
Stifford Lodge, now the Park Inn Hotel. A house had stood on this site since the 14th and some Tudor work can still be found in the building. Until the 18th it was called Deanes or Sherwells. It was rebuilt by one of the Kingsman family in the mid 18th.) Herbert Brooks cement manufacturer and chairman of Essex county council, lived here and then Col. J. D. Sherwood, paint factory owner. In the Second World War it was used as a Canadian military hospital. Sold to Truman’s in 1968 who, despite opposition from local pubs, turned it into a hotel and it later became a Europa Hotel.
Site of the ancient manor house of Stifford Hall which stood at the corner of High Road and Cuckoo Lane. It was derelict by the end of the 18th century
Coppid Hall. On the front is a plaque saying ‘This house hath been antiently called Coppid Hall." It is first mentioned in 1538 but rebuilt in 1753 and altered to the design of James Wyatt and an extension built in the 19th. It was empty and derelict by 1968 when it was auctioned and bought it was bought and turned into flats.
St. Mary’s church. The church's Glebe land is mentioned in Domesday so a church existed here then and there are Anglo Saxon remains on site. It is thought it stood on the Pilgrims’ route to Canterbury Pilgrimages. Built of local sandstone from quarries West Thurrock and Northfleet and local flint. Tower with oak-shingled broach spire, plus clock of 1885 which strikes a bell housed on steeple this was the Angelus bell. There are medieval stone heads on the south door, also in window, although is in the west window have been damaged. The north doorway is Norman although the door is 16th with 13th century ironwork and St. Clement was the patron saint of blacksmiths. Colony of bats in the church. Plaque to dead of the Second World War.
Churchyard. First World War Memorial
1 & 2 Church View. 18th cottage, timber framed, weatherboard and lath and plaster. Divided into two
Recreation Ground. Probably site of a pottery and tile yard in the mid 18th
Hall – North Stifford Community Group
Houses on the site of a cottage. 17th with a thatched roof, it was constructed entirely of wood and had a floor of trodden earth. Burnt down 1962.
Wren Cottage. Part of coverted pub called The Oaks. thatched 18th century building
Viola Cottage. Part of coverted pub called The Oaks
Lilac Cottage. Part of coverted pub called The Oaks
St Francis House. First house which Sir Francis Whitmore allowed to be built pre-1962. He insisted that it was in yellow brick and low rise.
Cherry Tree Cottage
Caira. Said to be haunted.
Old School House, built 1840, originally the local school with teacher's house attached. Built by Wingfield Baker, Lord of the Manor
Old Post Cottage, said to have been used as a post office up to the 1940s.
Browns Cottages late 19th
Mays Cottages late 19th century.
Mardyke Valley Golf Course
Built in the grounds of Ford Place, planted with specimen trees etc.
Site of Victorian rectory
'Stifford' comes from the Anglo-Saxon for ford, thus ‘a ford where a path crosses a stream’.
Stifford Clays Road
Part of an old route along the ridge, going eastwards to Orsett, and west to London
Thatched Cottage' 17th with later additions.