Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - South Weald
The three initial streamlets, flowing southwards, join and then turn south west along the line of the A12.
Post to the north South Weald
Post to the west South Weald
Post to the south Brook Street
Post to the east Brentwood
The 5-mile long Brentwood bypass dates from 1965 and in 2001, was resurfaced. The Ingrebourne runs along the line of the road
A Roman gold ring with the Chi Rho monogram was found here in 1948.
Once called Spit Lane but more likely also connected to a leper hospital was founded here before 1201. This was on the corner with Brook Street and remains could still be seen in the 18th.
Weald Park Way
Colmar. Stable and riding school.
South Weald . Village which in 1062 was granted by Earl Harold Godwin son to Waltham Abbey. It is mentioned in Domesday when it was forest with pannage.
Charles Church Homes
Tower Arms, an 18th free house. Above the entrance is ‘ALAA’ and ‘1704’. This was a house called ‘Jewell’s. It is Red brick with chequered burnt headers
Spread Eagle - an earlier public house which was west of the church and which was re named ‘Tower Arms’ in the 19th.
St. Peter's Church. This is a hilltop building of about 1150 in Kentish ragstone and flint with a chevron decorated Norman doorway and 16th tower, ‘restored’ by SS Teulon in 1868 funded by Charles Belli. The 19th church walls use conglomerate and putlog holes which occur in Essex churches but which here Teulon used as decorative
elements. There is private door into the church for the occupants of Weald Hall. The church is large for the village and until the middle of the 19th this was the main church for the area and Brentwood was under its jurisdiction. There is supposed to be a secret tunnel running two miles between the two. Inside the choir has stone angels playing musical instruments. The church includes Weald Hall Chapel which commemorates Sir Anthony Browne, founder of Brentwood school, Erasmus Smith and members of the Tower family. There is also the tomb of Lord Chief Justice Scroggs, involved with Titus Oates. The Iron chancel rails are by GG Scott
Church hall of 1981 is attached and built to match the church
Churchyard. Tower family graves in an enclosed area with a private gate from the park
Lych gate. Built 1868 by. S Teulon, Oak framed with a flat tiled Roof
Belvedere tower, polygonal, castellated, built for the views and as a family museum for the Tower family. Demolished in 1905 but mound remains.
Weald Hall. Tudor mansion was demolished in 1950 following occupation by the military in the Second World War. The site of the hall is now covered by the Belvedere car park, but there are brick steps going to the gardens and the base of the Belvedere
Wigley Bush Lane
Wigley Bush is the old name for the road – for a while it was Vicarage Road.
Browne’s Almshouses. Twelve Almshouses in communal grounds with a central Chapel. Ten of them were built plus the chapel, were designed by S S Teulon and built in 1854 using legacies of Sir Anthony Browne in 1567. Two more were added in the 1960’s on land donated by the Tower family. They are owned by the Browne and Wingrave Almshouse Charities. They are red brick in a long group down the lane with the chapel central. The end cottages have gable ends with ornamental figures in Gothic niches. South of the chapel is an octagonal Well head containing a pump and a frieze with a text from Proverbs.
St Peter’s Church of England Primary School. Built 1957 and 1968 to replace a building which was opposite the church and funded by Charles Belli.
Luptons, early 18th house which in the 19th was home of Edward Ind, of the Ind Coope brewery in Romford.
Wealdcote, a 16th building, with 17th additions. It is timber-framed, plastered and rendered. Comparison of its ground plan with other local examples, and its closeness to the church, suggests that it could have been the court hall. This building would need two entrances and these could have existed.
Granary. South of Wealdcote, This is dared 1800 and is timber-framed and weatherboarded,
The Cottage. Early 19th Timber-framed, weather boarded and rendered house. With an Open wooden verandah across whole front with swept roof, and trellis uprights. In front are iron spear-head railings with pine cone terminals
South Weald Post Office. Early 19th timber-framed house. The front of the house has iron spear-head railings with pine-cone finials