Monday, 7 March 2011

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Warley Road

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke rises in Holden’s Wood and flows south east


Post to the west Boyles Court
Post to the south Great Warley
Post to the north Warley Hospital

Dark Lane
A medieval green lane between Brook Street and Great Warley

Eagle Way
Hartswood Spire Hospital. Private medical facility by BUPA
Water Tower

Great Ropers Lane
Great Ropers. Late 18th House – 1772 on drainage heads. It is in yellow brick, and cast-iron balconies on the first floor.
Ursuline Preparatory School. Another private ‘preparatory’ school. This one is Roman Catholic. The original school was founded in the early 1930s, and moved here in 1994 taking boys and girls aged 3-11 years.
Game larder at Great Ropers Listed. This is an octagonal building from the 19th in red brick. It has windows and a doorway in alternate faces with windows having gauze infill. There is shelving inside.
Bachelors Walk
Great Ropers Business Centre

Green Lane
Is it a Roman Road coming from Horndon?

Mascalls Lane
Mascalls Park Hospital, NHS County Mental Hospital
Warley Woods

Warley Common
In 1805 116 acres of common were sold to the War Office by George Winn, Lord of the Manor of Warley.

Warley Gap
Holden’s Wood. Boggy wood, includes the source of the Mardyke
The Headley – pub which was called the Headley Arms, for local resident Lord Headley, and before that was The Magpie

Warley Hill
Holy Cross and All Saints Church. built 1881. Roman Catholic and partly funded by the Willmott family of Warley Place.

Warley Road
Warley Place. Once a very famous Edwardian garden the site was bought by Frederick Willmott in 1875 and run by his daughter, Ellen, who made the gardens a showplace. The site is now run by the Essex Wildlife Trust, and the house has been demolished. Warley Place, belonging to Ellen Willmott, is now maintained as a nature reserve by Essex Wildlife Trust. A walk round gives glimpses of what the estate once was - exotic trees, remains of cold frames, greenhouses, reservoirs, a terrace and the conservatory.
Horse and Groom. On the corner of Mascalls Lane. It was there in 1770 and catered for horse racing on Warley Common – and called the Horse and Jockey in the 1700s. The present building is c.1900.
Warley Lea Farm. Haunted by the ghost of a bailiff who hanged himself, there are phantom footsteps on the stairs. Record impresario Joe Meek recorded a talking cat here.

No comments: