Sunday, 6 March 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Molesey

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows eastwards and then turns north east towards the Thames
The Ember flows north east eventually running parallel to the Mole


Post to the west West Molesey
Post to the north East Molesey
Post to the east Thames Ditton and Hampton Court Park
Post to the south Imber

Beauchamp Road
Sir Horace Beauchamp Seymour was Lady Clinton’s second husband
12 behind the house is a domed brick b
uilding under a mound and used as a shed. This was the ice house for East Molesey Park and restored by a previous owner. It has steps to the front and the dome is insulated with a double skin.
St Albans RC Primary School

Bell Road
Bell Inn. Tudor inn. Originally a house and cottage with parts dating to the mid 16th and timber-framed. With a weathervane of an 18th man looking through a telescope. The building may originally have been a farmhouse, but a landlord is recorded who died in 1749 and it was run as an inn from the 1770s and it was later used as a parish meeting room. In the early 19th it was sold to the Kingston Brewery which later became Hodgson's and later Courage.
2 Bell Cottage 18th cottage.
Coach house at the back of the Bell. Early.19th Weattherboarded building with an open carriage entrance
Quillots Royal. This was one house with the Manor house. This section is 16th Timber framed. Does the name Quillots refer to a Celtic field system?
Old Manor House. Site of a 19th tannery. In the early 19th this was the workhouse for both East and West Molesey. Yellow brick with red brick dressings,
East Molesey Court. The property covers the site of East Molesey House. When the mill stopped work in the 18th the mill house was converted into a country house and the surrounding area became its park. In the early 19th it was owned by City businessman Joseph Todd and then sold in 1850 to the Dowager Lady Clinton. In 1876 the house was demolished and the park developed for posh housing and the current house built about 1880. In 1930 it became a sports club for the Distillers Company and in 1968 the sports club of the Trollope and Colls group
30 Green Arden. Early 18th house

Esher Road
The road was built in the mid 19th century as an approach to Hampton Court Bridge.
Bridges – there were wooden bridges over the Mole and Ember until 1876 when tolls ended. Wrought iron bridges were installed in the 1880s. Ember Bridge was replaced in 1985 by flood prevention scheme.

Island Barn Reservoir
Valve House

Matham Road
6 Matham Manor. 15th house Timber framed with red brick cladding. This was the original manor house for the area.

Molesey Park Close
Tanners Bridge over the Mole – was associated with the tannery at Old Manor House.

Orchard Lane
Orchard Farm
Ember Mill. Originally this was a manorial corn mill recorded in 1607 later used for brass and iron wire. In 1705 it was making iron hoops for barrels. It stood on an island in the Ember and the site can be reached from a footbridge at the end of Orchard Road. It was demolished in 1837 but sluices remain to indicate the site. The new channel of the Ember by passes the site of the mill but a small flow remains in the old course
Cow Common – the piece of land between the Mole and Ember which was connmon land used for grazing. It was accessed by a bridge from the farm. The remains of which can be seen.

Seymour Road
Sir Horace Beauchamp Seymour was Lady Clinton’s second husband

Spencer Road
Lady Spencer was Lady Clinton’s sister

St.Mary’s Road
St Mary’s church. Rebuilt in 1865 after a fire by Talbot Bury and additions by Charles Barry Junior. It is in rubble stone with a short square tower with turret. There are Brasses in the porch from the old church including the brass of Anthony Standen d. 1611, cup-bearer to the Earl of Darnley, husband of Mary, Queen of Scots.
Park House. 17th house pobably Timber framed

The Wilderness
The Wilderness. Ten acres of land from the East Molesey estate where only one house was allowed to be built. The house was designed by the Edward Salter for his brother Talford Salter. But built nearer to the road than intended – therefore in 1891 the road was diverted to insert a garden in front.
Standard Chartered Bank sports ground on the Wilderness estate
Site of Upper Mill. Mill of Molesey Matham. Originally a corn mill it was used by John Samine for gunpowder from 1650 although local people petitioned for this to be removed, however it continued to work and a number of accidents are recorded including a bad explosion in 1699. By 1780 it had ceased work following another explosion and was demolished.

Sources
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
Penguin Book of Surrey,
Pevsner Surrey
Kingston Zodiac
Gunpowder Mills Gazeteer


http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2009/09/londonsurrey-border-east-moseleyhampton.html

No comments: