Thames Tributary River Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne continues to flow south towards the Thames
Post to the west Emerson Park
Bird Lane Chapmans or Potkiln farmhouse 18th farm-house
Pot Kilns. In 1708 Samuel Springham had a house at what is described as ‘the Brick-kilns’. Near Hall Lane there was a circular brick-kiln built in 1774 by Matthew Howland Patrick, of Upminster Hall. Here, he had just 'brought his sugar-mould-pottery to perfection'. Later it produced bricks, tiles, and pipes and in 1885 James Brown, of Braintree, Chelmsford and London, bought the lease. By then the kilns and chimneys were prominent landmarks. Brown enlarged the works, built workmen's houses and a tramway to Upminster station. The brickworks continued to operate until 1933; and it was then demolished Pit to the south of the brickworks for brick earth, At the base of it was boulder clay which, apart from a patch at Hornchurch is the most southerly evidence of the ice sheet during the whole of the Ice Age. Pit for the brickworks north of the lane.
Pot Kiln wood. Managed by the Woodland Trust and part of the Thames Chase
Pantile Cottages. Built for the brickworks along the road
Plaintile Cottages. Built for the brickworks at right angles to the road