Thames Tributary Carters Brook
The brook flows more or less south towards the Ingrebourne and changes its name to Payne’s Brook
Post to the north Noak Hill
Post to the south Harold Hill
Central Park Leisure Centre
The David Crompton Lodge residential care home Long Wood, ancient woodland owned by the Council
Named from an estate called ‘‘Dagenhams ‘or ‘Dagnams’ in the middle ages having been owned in the early 14th to William de Dageham. Dagnams was a grand estate which was eventually owned by the Neave family who gradually bought the whole area up. They were followed by the London County Council.
Hatters Wood. Ancient and secondary woodland, ponds. Now a nature reserve.
Moat. This was the moat for Cockerels house which in 1633 was a substantial gabled building, standing outside the moat which was used as an orchard. It had been a medieval manor owned by the Cockerell family; in the 19th it was called Dagnam Park Farm. It was demolished c. 1948.
Dagnam Park Drive
Brookside junior school
Follows the course of a tree lined road to Gooshays House which was surrounded by large elm trees
A medieval name which and means 'enclosures where geese are kept'. It is first recorded as a manor in the 14th and was eventually taken over by the LCC. A large brick mansion stood there and in front of it were terraced gardens, and two medieval horse-shoe ponds and beyond them Payne's Brook. The house faced east. A farmhouse was built on the site in the late 18th and this was demolished in 1961. At the back of the house was a timber and thatched barn, which was burnt down in 1958. The London County Council acquired the house in 1947 with the original intention of using it as a Community centre, but it was thought to be unsafe, and it was demolished in 1961.
Harold Hill Estate
Harold Hill Farm was built by the Neave family in 1829. The Estate was built by the London County Council in the 1940s Originating in Abercrombie and Forshaw’s Greater London Plan which recommended a 'quasi-satellite town' here, In 1947 the remaining 850 acres of Dagnams Park Farm was taken over by the LCC,. It was designed by the LCC Architect S. Howard. It began as an estate with proper brick construction methods in 1948 and was complete by 1954-6 with housing for over 25,000 laid out around existing woods and mature trees. It was planned on a neighbourhood principle but is still recognizably a pre-war garden suburb.
Church of the Most Holy Redeemer. 1964 Roman Catholic
William the Conquerer
Havering College of Further and Higher Education. Quarles Campus. Quarles was an 11th local poet.
Jehovah’s Witnesses Hall.