Thames Tributary Horton Stream - Horton
Lamberts Stream joins the Horton Stream
Post to the west Horton
Post to the north Castle Hill
Water Tower of Horton Hospital. 1912
This was Long Grove Road until it was regenerated
Horton Country Park - This is basically on the site to the west of Long Grove Hospital. The Horton Stream flows through this area.Horton Railway - Paths have been laid on the railway embankments and there are two buffer stops at the car park exit in the Country Park
Lambert's Mead and Lambert's Wood.
The Orchard. Part of an orchard which belonged to Long Grove Hospital. Thought to have been planted when the hospital was built in 1907. It includes pear trees of a variety known as Bellesime D'Hiver, a 17th French cooking pear. Lambert’s stream rises in this area.
Concrete area which is the remains of the piggery of Long Grove Hospital
Horton Park Children’s Farm. This was Long Grove Farm up to 1973 and belonged to the hospital. It supplied the hospital with meat, milk, vegetables and therapy for patients
Forge. Opened in 1990 demonstrating the production of ornamental ironwork. It uses gas and arc welding but there is also a traditional fire and a variety of tools including a pneumatic hammer. Farriers visit but bring their own portable hearths,
David Lloyd Leisure Centre. This is in the Water Pumping Station and Electric Light Works which was built by the LCC under Clifford Smith in 1901. Here, there was a 500ft deep borehole, a well, water pumps and a roof-mounted 35,000 gallon water storage tank. The water pumps were made by Robert Warner & Co, of Walton on the Naze and Chlorination was by a Chloronome from the Paterson Engineering Company of London. Boilers provided steam to drive dynamos which generated a power supply to the hospitals until replaced by an ac supply from the grid – the boiler, chimney and generators have all gone. The buildings were later used a workshop for patients employed in making brushes and brooms called Sherwood House. Plant and coal was supplied by the railway,
Engine Shed. The Horton Light Railway Engine shed was here and was bombed in the Second World War.
Clarendon Park housing development. The development was started in 1998 and is built on the site of the former Long Grove Hospital complex
Long Grove Hospital . Built as Long Grove Asylum. Built as a mental hospital 1903-7. Built by Charles Wall and Foster & Dicksee, it was the largest of the group. It was formally opened on 15 June 1907, eventually to care for 2,209 residents. Transferred from Metropolitan Asylums Board to London County Council. But is now closed.
Long Grove Light Railway. Built as the result of complaints from local residents during the building of Manor, Horton, St Ebba's and Long Grove hospitals. Contractors Foster & Dicksee constructed a standard-gauge light railway to bring in materials to build Long Grove Hospital. A section from Hook Road which turned south to enter Long Grove was opened in 1905 and it operated until 1907 when Long Grove was completed and it was closed and dismantled. The LCC then bought the route and reopened it in 1911- 1912 with the route extended to the boiler house at the water pumping station and electric light works, where there was also an engine shed. It was re-opened as the Horton Light Railway in 1913. It stopped working in 1947 and the track and rolling stock were sold off by 1950 for £8,371. Remains can be seen and the track beds and embankments form footpaths in Horton Country Park.
Horton Chapel. This was the chapel for Horton Hospital, listed Grade II