Thames Tributary Hogsmill - Norbiton
The Hogsmill continues to flow north west towards the Thames
Post to the west Kingston
Post to the south Berrylands
“Executive houses” built on the site of three buildings from The Mount primary school in 1993
Berry means ‘barrow’. From the medieval manor of ‘la Bergh’ that is 'the mound or hill'. This area was still shown as agricultural land on the Ordnance Survey map of 1905.
Bonner Hill Road
Named from Bonner Hill 1575, that is 'settlement of a man called Bana', from an Old English personal name and Old English ‘worth’, with the later addition of ‘hill’.
Kilrush Court, Hampton Road corner, marked as church on maps. Apparent conversion into flats of hall and corner building with a rounded corner.
Kingston Cemetery, The cemetery is about 32 acres and was opened in 1855. Burials include Thomas Hansard recorder of Parliamentary debates, A.C. Ranyard editor of Truth magazine and Dr Joseph Moloney, African explorer. Tomb of Dorothy Burton 1908 Listed monument by Richard Goulden of a Bronze statue of adolescent girl with uplifted face and arms.There are Symmetrical Gothic chapels, flanking the carriageways.
Crematorium added in 1952 with yellow stained glass and brick cloisters and walls
Wanderings Farm was on the east side of the road with a 200 year old farmhouse demolished in 1959
Tyre Works. On site from 1959
Kings meadow day nurseryRecreation ground made up of the meadows of Wanderings Farm
Jack Goodchild Way
Kingstonian Football Club and Kingstonian moved here in 1989 and the ground was improved in 2001. AFC Wimbledon also based here
Kingston Road allotmentsSearchlight youth and community centre.
Lower Marsh Lane
Berrylands Station. Built in 1933 Between Surbiton and New Maldon and now on South Western Rail. The station was funded by a group of developers in an area where farms were being taken for suburban housing. The station is now in a dead end surrounded by acres and acres of the direst sort of 1930s suburbia. On the other side of the tracks are sewage works, etc.
Sewage works. Initially Malden Works was opened in 1900 by Malden and Coombe Borough Council. Then In 1912 the North Surrey Joint Sewage Board built a new sewage works at Berrylands. It included a refuse destructor to raise steam to use in the works. Both works were modernised in 1939. At Berrylands sludge drying beds were constructed and in both works a railways were installed. There was a stretch of land between the two works and in 1931; the Hogsmill Valley Joint Sewage Board intended to build a third works. These plans were delayed by the Second World War and only built in 1953. This too had a railway. In 1961 the three works were amalgamated as the North Surrey Joint Sewage Board. And the railways connected with two bridges over the River. The works has since been upgraded and is one of Thames Water’s modern sewage treatment works
Surbiton cemetery opened in 1915 has about 11 acres with 1.5 acres set aside for future use. It includes some war graves.