Thames Tributary Hogsmill - Kingston
The Hogsmill winds through Kingston towards the Thames
Post to the east Berrylands
Post to the west Kingston Portsmouth Road and Hampton Court Park Rick Pond
Developed in 1876 by Alfred Nuthall
1 marker for a Chelsea Water Works pipe line. Listed.
St Johns Ambulance station and community uses
Athelstan Recreation ground
1 Coach House. Listed. Care home.
9 in the garden is a marker for a Chelsea Water Works pipe line. Listed. The pipe line originally ran through the area as a strip on which building was not allowed.
This was originally Green Lane and is an old route through the area
4 in the garden is a marker for a Chelsea Water Works pipe line. Listed.
13 Spring Grove pub. Listed. Built late 1880s. Spring Grove itself was an estate developed in this area, along the Hogsmill, in the 1880s out of farmland.
Chapel Mill Road
Royal Mail Service Centre Kingsmill Business Park Civic Amenity Site – local tip on the site of the Chapel Mill.
Chapel Mill or Leatherhead Mill was east of the road, very old and had belonged to Lovekyn Chapel. It became an oil mill in the 18th and run by Stephen Wedge of Battersea and later by Thomas Boorman who made a fortune there. . Linseed was bought up the Thames in barges, unloaded and taken to the mill in carts. In the 19th a steam engine was installed and then Hydraulic presses in 1870s. Barrels of the oil taken to London in vans to use in paints, varnishes, inks, lino and oilcloth and Cattle cake was made with the rest. The Mill was purchased by the railway in 1880s for a proposed line use between Kingston and Surbiton which was never built and the mill became derelict. In 1895 it was bought by William Smith to make candles. His father had been the manager of Ranyards candle works in Thames Street, bought them out and expanded it. At the oil mill they made 40 tons of candles a week with paraffin wax from Burma. They also made soap, Kingston Volvolutum. The works was bought by Price of Battersea in 1922. Kingston Refuse depot on the site now
Called after estate called the Cranes and owned by the Jemmett family. It was auctioned off in 1885 and these roads built. The Cranes itself was in the triangle between Cranes Park and Cranes Park Avenue and by 1914 had been demolished. Cranes are birds on the Zodiac
Part of Spring Grove Estate developed in 1860s on farmland by the Originally called Alexandra Road
Coronation Baths, these were on the corner with Penhyrn Road and were on an old mill site.
Hogs Mill. Hog’s Mill had belonged to Hounslow Priory and was sold to the Crown in 1554. The final mill building here dated from the early 1800s and in the 1830s and 40s was known Mercers Mill, after William Mercer, the then owner. By the 1850s it was Leonard's Mill and then Marsh's Mill – and part of a corn chandlery business, making Stan-Myln flour delivered by a team of yellow vans. In 1896 it was the Yewsabit Mill made by Johnson’s. Yewsabit was a metal polish sold to the army and with a lot of use in tine Boer War. Only Englishmen could be employed there but they had closed by 1910, demolished in the 1930s. Baths. Demolished 1980
The area was developed in 1854 by the Conservative Land Society who laid out curving roads and built housing varying in size and style. Tall classical villas are faced with stone patented by architect John Taylor
Kingston Methodist church
Built on grounds of the Grove House. Miss Fassett was the last owner
13 Kelly Arms pub refers to ownership of Middle Mill by Kellys, printers and publishers. Closed.
Bedelsford School. Special school.
Stanley Picker Gallery. Part of the University
Kingston University Knights Park Campus. Contains the Faculty of Art, Design & Architecture. Previously Kingston Polytechnic
Bradbury Centre. Drop in for the elderly
Built on the grounds of The Grove House 1860s.
Hole. A hole appeared in the middle of the road early in April 1990. It was 2 ft. across at the top and 5 ft. at the bottom and 4 ft.deep.
An old route through the area kept by the developer
2 Grove Lodge listed
St John’s the Evangelist Churchbegan as an iron church on the corner of Springfield and Denmark roads in 1870. The foundation stone for the permanent church was laid by Bishop Samuel Wilberforce, in 1871 – the site and funding was by William Mercer for his new Spring Grove Estate. The design was by local architect A.J. Phelps but it was built without the planned tower and spire and they were not added until 1935 using money left by an earlier vicar and his sisters. In 1974 Kingston Polytechnic was using the Church as an examination hall and various considerations to extending use of this type has been important.
The Hogsmill flows past the northern end of the road
Recycling Centre BGS Services Old Mill Court flats.
Hogsmill. Allegedly named for a 12th miller called Hog.
The Hogsmill flows past the northern end of the road
The Blue Bridge over the Hogsmill was built by developer William Mercer as a way of improving the area. Built on bowstring principles in 1894 by Major Macauley.
Lower Marsh Lane
Dairy Crest Surbiton Depot
Road to Middle Mill. The mill site is now a university hall of residence based in Portland Road. This was a flour mill which later made products from coconut fibre - owned by John Barsham and the Patent Cocoa Nut Fibre Co. It later became a printers. The buildings are divided between water channels.
Coconut pub. The name refers to the matting business
The Swan pub
Developed in the 1860s from orchard land.
20/22, 24, 30/32, 34-42 listed
St.Paul's school house listed
Drill Hall built in 1862 for the 12th Surrey Rifle Volunteers. Demolished
The Hogsmill flows under the road. Up until the 1890s this was called Grove Road after The Grove mansion which stood on the east side. The Grounds were sold in 1860s but house remained until the 1950s. The road was named after Chairman of Surrey County Council88 Leycester Penrhyn
County Hall. This is the main government building for the county of Surrey opened in November 1893. It includes a clock tower which can be seen from the river, sculptures, plaques of Surrey MPs and Lord Sheriffs, and the council chamber. It was designed by Charles Henry Howell, County Surveyor, built by Higgs and Hill and extended in 1930 and in 1938. The Ashcombe block was destroyed in bombing and rebuilt in 1953. It was again extended in 1963 and 1982. County Hall has not been in Surrey since 1965,
Surrey County Staff Club, by the County Architect's Department, 1972.
Kingston University. Slab block built as the College of Technology, with additions of 1969 onwards by the Borough Architect's Department. It has a library, health centre and canteen.
Reg Bailey Theatre which houses a stage area used by drama and dance students.
John Galsworthy Building for the university opened in November 2007. The six-storey complex with lecture theatres, flexible teaching space and information technology suites around a landscaped courtyard.
Kingston University Students' Union Penrhyn road's Student Union bar, The Space Bar.
Kingston Crown Court. On the Kingston Zodiac these are on Libra
Christian Science reading room
Part of Spring Grove Estate, developed in 1860s Estate developed 1854 by the Conservative Land Society with curving roads and housing varying in size and style. The principal developer was music publisher, William Chappell. There are tall classical villas faced with stone patented by architect John Taylor
St Johns Church of England primary school. Listed
Middle Mill halls of residence Middle Mill. Flour was milled here from at least 17th until the 19th and then cocoanut fibre for matting by Hardcastle and Wilson. In 1880 it was bought by Kellys of the directories until 1932 when they closed, and the works split up into units.
Area formed to the south of the Hogsmill, developed by Palmer and Nightingale
Part of Spring Grove Estate developed in 1860s, was hoped the road would cross the Hogsmill into Fairfield. Council would not let it be built despite the fact the local miller left money for it.
The Hogsmill flows under the road
St James Road:
The Hogsmill flows under the road which was cut through the grounds of Kingston Hall for a new route to Surbiton Station;
Raynsford’s three floor mineral water factory was built on the banks of the Hogsmill in the 1870s. When Raynsford died in 1885 it was bought by a dry cleaner and then run under Raynsford’s name until 1893. Sold in 1890s; Became Austin's jam factory which flourished and the firm moved in 1913. Later the building was bought by Bentalls who used it for soft furnishings manufacture but it was still called The Jam Factory.
On site of Surbiton Place Park
4, 4A, listed
13/15 Surbiton High School. Listed. It was founded in 1884 by Anglican clergy of the Church Schools Company and was the first of seven schools administered by them. They bought two Victorian houses and these have been added to over the years including, in 1994, a new Junior Girls' School and a Sixth Form Centre and more recently taking over the Assembly Hall.
Surbiton Hill Road
In 1862 a tumbling bay was built under the middle of the road for the sewage
1 Wagon and Horses. Built at the tollgate to provide for horses which had climbed the hill.
Assembly Rooms. This was built on the site of an old farm, latterly a posh house, called Elmers. This was demolished and a terracotta embellished hall and rooms built in 1889 by A. Mason. Sold to the High School in the 1990s. Listed.
Surbiton High School – buildings including a clock tower.
Previously called Clay Lane
The Hogsmill flows under the road. It was once called Oil Mill Lane
King Athelstan Primary School
Kingston Spiritualist Church. Opened by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in 1927
104 Duke of Buckingham. Pub. Shield Above the door with the Hodgson's Kingston Brewery logo, with a 'K', a cask and three fishes. Also a cast iron 'No right of way' notice with 'HODGSONS' KINGSTON BREWERY Co., Ltd.' on it.
79 Old Mill House. This was Oil Mill House but seems to have been gentrified, late c 18, listed.
VP Winery site. Now housing. Joseph East had been a partner in a brewery in Church Street and in the 1860s opened a brewery here. In 1891 the premises was bought by Charringtons and it later became the winery for Vine Products Ltd. Wine was made from imported grape concentrate. Until the 1980s it was fortified to resemble sherry or port. Two Greek brothers Mitzotakis, came to London in 1900 to sell a surplus stock of Greek grapes and established the Crown Grape Wine Company in Fulham. , By 1908 they were producing a million bottles a year, and renamed the company Vine Products. They then moved to Kingston and were eventually taken over by Allied Breweries. VP used railway facilities to distribute the wine.
Kingston Refuse Depot on the site of the Chapel Mill
New road built ion the 1990s
Kingston Museum built in 1904. The building was 1992 -1997
Stidder, Watermills of Surrey
Field. Place Names of London,
Penguin Book of Surrey,
Shipley, Kingston Through the Centuries.
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Clunn. Face of London