Thursday, 23 December 2010

Thames Tributary Tolworth Brook - Tolworth

Thames Tributary Tolworth Brook
The Tolworth Brook rises near the County border and flows north and east towards the Hogsmill


Post to the west Long Ditton
Post to the north Tolworth
Post to the south Chessington North and Hook



Brook Road
The Tolworth Brook enters the playing field at the rear of the road to the north

Hook Junction
Where the Leatherhead and Dorking road leaves the Guildford road. Hook underpass was one of the earliest built in Britain. 1960. Said to be a model of it in the science museum

Hook Road
Southborough High School. Boys’ secondary school with a business specialism, founded in the 1960s.
205 GMB Trade Union Southern Region HQ

Hook Rise North
'Ace of Spades’. This was the site of 'Ace of Spades Roadhouse and Swimming Pool' on the north-west corner of the Kingston by-pass. This was a pioneer roadhouse, with meals served at any time in a restaurant with seating for 700 to 800, dancing until 3 am, swimming pool a miniature golf course, polo ground, riding school, and an air strip. The pub was eventually burnt down.
Cap in Hand. Wetherspoon’s pub at the Ace of Spades junction. Conservatory, festivals and Itchen Valley beers.

Hook Rise South
Gala Cosmetics factory site
Andre Rubber. They bonded rubber to metal and made components for cars, docks, armoured fighting vehicles, hospitals, warships and diving helmets. Their site is now Hook Rise South Industrial Park.
HRG - car company founded by E.A.Halford, G.H.Robins and H.R.Godfrey in 1936. The intention was to make vintage style sports cars with no frills. They used a Meadows 4ED engine and as a two seater it sold for £395. in 1938 they were the highest placed British car at Le Mans. In 1939 they began to use Singer engines. After the war they move to a slightly different site on this same road. After the Second World War they produced the Aerodynamic but only 31 were built. The firm won many European events and the original HRG continued until 1956 with a Vauxhall engine and an aluminium body. They continued with general engineering until 1966 when they went into liquidation. The buildings were sold to Gala and demolished

Fullers Way
Tolworth Girls School Three types of school architecture of the 20th:
Recreation Centre with sports and arts facilities housed in a plastic-clad rectangle by Kingston Architect's Department, 1974-8.

Kent Road
The Tolworth Brook runs parallel to the east side of the road

Oakcroft Road
Plessey factory. there was a large Plessey factory on the junction with the bypass.  It was later Siemens following company mergers

Red Lion Road
Red Lion Business Park site of a brick factory.
Recreation ground - clay extraction resulted in water -filled pit used for landfill for material removed from bomb-sites after the Blitz. This land has been reclaimed for sports. It was used by the Civil Defence Corps as a training site with a full-size mock-up of a bomb-damaged housing estate.

Thornhill Road
The Tolworth Brook crosses under the road

Tolworth Road
The Tolworth Brook crosses under the road

Vale Road
The Tolworth Brook runs alongside it

Waterside Close
The Tolworth Brook passes under the road and alongside it

No comments: