Thames Tributary Beverley Brook
The Beverley flows north through the area
TQ 56274 85453
Suburban area with many sports fields
Post to the west Traps Lane
Post to the south Beverley Park
Cottenham Park Recreation Ground. Opened in 1897 as Melbury Gardens. Originally laid out as it is today. It has a line of plane trees on the eastern boundary and playing fields which form the main area of the park. It is now named Cottenham Park
Wimbledon College Sports Ground – the College is a Jesuit one in Edge Hill, Wimbledon. They appear to be heavily into compulsory Rugby.
Old Wimbledonian Sports Ground. This is the Wimbledon College Old Boys ground – and includes the Wimbledonian Warriors who are young lads.
Civil service sports field ex-Ministry of Works sports ground
Cottenham Park is named after Charles Pepys, Lord Cottenham. The estate was sold off for housing development in the late 19th.
Cottenham Park Road
St Matthews Church of England School
19th Wimbledon Scouts
Spencer Court flats built around 1934. Massive block of flats
St.Matthews Church. Around 1880, Sunday services were held in a classroom of the original Cottenham Park School. Later, a small hall in Avenue Road was rented in the midst of fields! In 1895, a little iron church was erected at the corner of Durham Road and Richmond Road a piece of land was bought at the corner of Durham Road and Spencer Road, and Ernest Shearman’s design for a Basilica type of church was chosen and Building began in 1908 and the church dedicated in 1927. Part of the church was completely destroyed in 1944 in Second World War bombing and the rest had to be pulled down because it was unsafe. In 1952, Sebastian Comper was asked to prepare plans for a new St.Matthew's. The foundation stone was laid in 1957 and in 1958 the new church was dedicated.
War Memorial. Which survived the bombing and the crucifix from it was transferred to the gable end of the new building,
Maldon Golf Course
The Beverley brook runs through it
Raynes Park Sports Ground
British History Online. Merton. Web site
St. Matthews. Web site
Old Wimbledonian, Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London.
Wimbledon College. Web site